To buy or not to buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm an fj40 owner who initially didn't like the new fj but it quickly began to grow on me. I finally had my mind set on either a tan or silver 6 mt but then heard of a possible od green coming out for 09'.
Now I have read on multiple sites of a high incidence of bowing & tearing at the aprons of the 06-08' models. So my question is "Is this happening to most (>75%) over time or only a small (<15%) fraction at random?" Will Toyota remedy this problem? And has anyone heard when the new 09's will be out? OD Green?
I am now wondering if I should just get an access cab tacoma 4x4? I already have a 40? So guys and gals, is it worth it?

Havent heard anything about the 09's yet, as far as the aprons ripping I don't think its happening to the majority otherwise I would assume there would be a recall. I havent had any ripping on mine and i have flexed it a good couple of times, and put the truck through some abuse. All that being said I love my FJ!

I'm sure there will be an SE for '09, who know's what color it will be though. They'll probably whack one of this year's colors (Brick would be my guess) & then introduce either a redder-red or green. This is all 100% speculation.

The body bulges/rips/tears were pretty much fixed for the mid-07 & up models. I've not heard of anyone with a late '07 or '08 with this issue. Even then it was not as widespread as some will have you believe.

I think the FJ is a great mix between a classic 40 & the longer wheelbase Tacos & newer LC's. It has plenty of room for my wife & I & our two dogs for day trips. For longer trips you have to use a roof rack to store stuff, but it still blows 40's & itty bitty jeeps away.

Of course I'm highly biased, but if you're a 40 lover I don't see you going wrong w/an FJ. If you can wait, I'd wait until aug-sep to see what the '09s look like. I can't wait to see what they change this year!

I have been really happy with my FJ. I did have a double cab Taco and traded-in for the FJC. I liked the Taco, but I like the FJ more! I have done some off-roading where there was a lot of flexing and so far no rips or tears.

Actually there may never be another SE!

I was talking to an engineer from Toyota last week and he told me that there was only one SE (2007) ever planned and the '08 TT edition was just an option package basically. He said Toyota only made the SE as a true "Special Edition" for the launch of the model.

He owns one and is a design engineer in California who supposedly was on the initial design team.

Only Toyota knows for sure! I personally love to see a stripped down version w/ a removeable top...and a solid front axle!

1) My FJC was the first sold in Arkansas, has no bulges or rips, and I haven't seen any that have had them. A few VERY vocal members on MUD and the Blue Forum have had them and made it seem as though we all had them. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why it happens in some and not others.
2) the FJC is far more capable off the showroom floor than my FJ62 was off the showroom floor.
3) while my 62 beat the s**t out of you on the highway, the FJC is comfortable on the highway, albeit loud.
4) while it's nice to have a truck bed sometimes, the FJC puts more weight over the rear tires, and that makes it more capable off road.

In a nutshell, my 62 carries a lot of sentimental value, but my FJC is a more capable vehicle all around. So I'd vote that you take the plunge.
BTW, I see you hail from Arkansas, too. Whereabouts?

Go for it!! Buy now while they're givin' 'em away (or should be).

Keep the FJC alive!!

I want to be able to buy parts for 30 years!!

I'd like to have a "bed" too, but that's why I have a trailer! 300 -400 lbs. of scrap aluminium is goin' to Hackensack this weekend!!

BTW-After my initial "bulges & cracks" at around 18-k, I've noted no further deterioration and am going to hold off on any "repairs" as long as possible (currently @ 26-k).

I have REALLY HEAVY Pro-Comp steel wheels (Wheelers off-road) and the E rated Firstone destination MT's...real back-breakers getting on & off the vehicle, which exacerbates my articulation and I've "bottomed out" a couple of times (going a little too fast over rough terrain).

1) My FJC was the first sold in Arkansas, has no bulges or rips, and I haven't seen any that have had them. A few VERY vocal members on MUD and the Blue Forum have had them and made it seem as though we all had them. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why it happens in some and not others.
2) the FJC is far more capable off the showroom floor than my FJ62 was off the showroom floor.
3) while my 62 beat the s**t out of you on the highway, the FJC is comfortable on the highway, albeit loud.
4) while it's nice to have a truck bed sometimes, the FJC puts more weight over the rear tires, and that makes it more capable off road.

In a nutshell, my 62 carries a lot of sentimental value, but my FJC is a more capable vehicle all around. So I'd vote that you take the plunge.
BTW, I see you hail from Arkansas, too. Whereabouts?

I live in central Arkansas, Conway actually.

I'm pretty much sold on the FJ and will wait for the 09's to come out.

I have seen multiple FJC's with the fender bulges/tears, I think all are 07's - but that was almost a 2 year run. All these folks wheel them. most have winches and aftermarket bumpers. My FJC is currently @ the dealer getting warranty replacement of the aprons under the TSB for this problem. I was told by the service mgr at the dealer, FWIW, the fix was a modified apron of slightly differnt composition to be implemented for '08.

My info only -

Carl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom