To all 4 Runner owners/know it alls (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Usually around the house, sometimes in a tree or a
Getting rid of the Sienna and looking for an older 4 Runner. I have never owned one and so I don't know much about them other than they seem to be very reliable and probably second only to the Land Cruiser in dependability. That being said what should I know before buying and is there anything specific I should be looking for when shopping. I am looking in the 97-2002 era with no more than 150k miles. Thanks in advance for the advice.

there generally isnt any issues with this generation 4runner. as with any used vehicle, service records/history, mileage, over all condition and # of owners is key. id avoid the 01-02's though, as some have reported tranny issues. look for a 99-00 and you're golden. bonus if you find one with the elocker...

there generally isnt any issues with this generation 4runner. as with any used vehicle, service records/history, mileage, over all condition and # of owners is key. id avoid the 01-02's though, as some have reported tranny issues. look for a 99-00 and you're golden. bonus if you find one with the elocker...

AFAIK, there is no difference between the trans.....they are all A340F from 96-02.

Rear axles have a tendency to be rusty as hell if ever dipped in salt water.

Depending on how tall you are, there may not be adequate head room.

If you end up with the 5VZFE, make sure you know when the timing belt, water pump and thermostat were changed and hopefully with OEM parts (IMO there are no substitutes in these important areas) due every 90,000, but not an interference motor.
My water pump was starting to seep at just over 90,000 miles.

check all the body panels for vin stickers.
no vin sticker = panel has been replaced.

timing belt and stuff being replaced saves you that cost.... or use as a bargaining point.
beware aftermarket water pumps and t-stats
Nice long test drive, including freeway speeds, etc etc.

Getting rid of the Sienna and looking for an older 4 Runner. I have never owned one and so I don't know much about them other than they seem to be very reliable and probably second only to the Land Cruiser in dependability. That being said what should I know before buying and is there anything specific I should be looking for when shopping. I am looking in the 97-2002 era with no more than 150k miles. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Great choice. 3rd gen 4Runners are so popular and so abundant on the used market that you can be picky when you're shopping. There are a few small issues to deal with for the 3rd gens, but nothing that would keep you from buying a specific truck. Like others said, hold off for one with a clean history and maintanance records.

I've been 100% happy with my 2000 that I got a year ago with 100K miles on it. Previously I'd owned 3 toy pickups (which were great) but personaly the 4Runner has been a better choice for me.

Thanks again for the advise, appreciated as always.
Just out of curiousity, what is the design life of the engines? Is 300K a reasonable expectation

Well this question ought to gather some vaying opinions.
If you keep clean fluid(oil and coolant), fuel and air going through an engine and minimze the # of cold starts you could get 400K easily. Every cold start takes a toll, stop and go city driving is hard on vehicles mind you look at the mileage a cabby will put on a car..not cold though. An then when is an engine done?? as power will drop off, oil consumption increase, less lift and duration on valves and lower compression numbers as wear progresses. Or as long as it will run fairly smooth and doesn't throw a crank out the bottom then that might still be running.:)

I always like to think of automotive engines that we use in industry that are on pump skids or generators. 365 days X 24 hours = 8760 hours/year X say even 50 mph if it were in a car then = 438,000 miles / year. We don't throw these engines out after a year either thus perhaps 2 years at least before we overhaul them. These are 300 Fords, Chrysler slant 6, 4.3Litre GM's, 350s/5.7Litres, 454s etc. I've never seen a Toyota engine on a skid:)
just my extra 2 cents

Last edited:
First, I don't think the 4Runner is second to the LC. Not saying it's better in dependability, but it's definitely not second. Secondly, if I were buying a 3rd Gen today, I would go for one of the following models:

1) 99-00 Limited. Has ability to go AWD, 4WD and comes with e-locker option.

2) 97-00 SR5 5-speed manual with e-locker.

I would opt for the 1st choice, but it would be a tough call.

Got my Eye on a nice 98 with 150k on it. Carfax is clean. just wondering about timing belt, when should it have been replaced? anything else to watch out for?

@ 90,000 miles

I'd just get water pump, thermostat and timing belt done for piece of mind.......but that can all add up very quickly if you are not doing the work yourself. I'd also only use OEM parts :2 cents:
Look at the frame and rear axle for rust also.

X2 on what Mr. Double said. Just did that on my '01.

FWIW, the timing belt is not that hard on these. If you find one that hasn't been done, just use that as a bargaining chip.

Checked it out yesterday, Gve them 250.00 to hold it. going to pick it up it week. Mechanically it appears to be in great shape, Ball joints were just done, New muffler, brakes were done last year, new battery, was in a minot accident a couple of years ago and the radiator was repalced with the hoses and belts. Needs tires very badly though. No body rust, minor scratches, small crease in te front bumber from the affor mentioned accident, All bels and whistles work except the fog lights. and it has rear locking diff.

looking for a good set of seat covers for it as the leather is pretty worn in the front. Also how much bigger can i go on tires on the factory 16" wheels. Currently has 265's on it

As always thanks, you guys have been great.

Also how much bigger can i go on tires on the factory 16" wheels. Currently has 265's on it
Factory bigger tire option was a 265/70R/16 which is about a 30.7 inch tire.. can do a 32 inch tire such as LT265/75R/16 or I had a set of LT235/85R16
I think the guys here generally say that if you go to a 33 inch tire you will need a lift such as a 285/75R/16

Stock, expect about 20-21MPG on the freeway and about 17 around town. Depends on how heavy your foot is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom