TLC on-sand performance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

had unexpectedly very good experiences with MT/Rs in sand (see threads on the recent SnT)

To revisit this question, I am now looking at an '03 model with 18 inch wheels. Does anyone have any experience running a TLC over sand with stock 18 inch wheels?

Not as much a sand question, but I do have a related question on the 18" sizes for post '03 100s. OEM size is 275/60/18 but there are limited selections (Duelers and Pilot LTX - basically on-road tires). I see that there are now Cross Terrains offered in a 265/70/18 - do you guys think there is much a difference (handling perspective) b/w that size and OEM. Alternatively, Nitto makes a 285/60/18 AT, which is closer to OEM size, but probably does not exude the best on-road manners. Any suggestions?

James Kelly said:
To revisit this question, I am now looking at an '03 model with 18 inch wheels. Does anyone have any experience running a TLC over sand with stock 18 inch wheels?

Yes, I have run the stock 18" Dunlops on sand, they actually performed quite well, BUT..in the deeper stuff, the shallow sidewalls were quickly swallowed up, turning my rims into paddles ( NOT in a good way !).

Oh, and when I aired down ( slightly), the sand found its way between the rim and the bead, causing slow leaks on two of my tires.

I think 18"s are just too low-profile to use in anything but mildly deep sand.

:frown:

I have the '03, completely stock, and I have had no problem in the soft sand of Outerbanks, NC with the stock Bridgestones. I was getting around fine with the regular pressure of 36, but when I aired down to 25, I noticed a BIG difference. I was zipping around and cutting across the ruts like I used to do in my 86 4Runner. No problems at all. I was REALLY amazed at how nimble a 3 ton truck could be in sand.

flyfish4life said:
Not as much a sand question, but I do have a related question on the 18" sizes for post '03 100s. OEM size is 275/60/18 but there are limited selections (Duelers and Pilot LTX - basically on-road tires). I see that there are now Cross Terrains offered in a 265/70/18 - do you guys think there is much a difference (handling perspective) b/w that size and OEM. Alternatively, Nitto makes a 285/60/18 AT, which is closer to OEM size, but probably does not exude the best on-road manners. Any suggestions?
The Nitto Terragrappler is a great AT tire with good on-road manners. Another option is to go with 285/65-18 (33") BFG AT's. With the 5sp tranny, power will not be a problem. I would say between the two, the Nitto has better on-road manners. The Cross Terrains seem like a good "highway" tire... they even have a 65k mile warranty.

all fine in sand with this 03 with 18" and Dunlops

[qutoe=macneil]
My 305s run just fine. I suppose the 315s would be ok too.

But what do I know.[/quote]

I have 315/75 R16 MTRs on my 80. Aired down to about 15 psi, they do great in soft sand. I had no problems at Pismo Beach last November. No problems on hard packed or the soft sand dunes.

NorCalDoug said:
I have 315/75 R16 MTRs on my 80. Aired down to about 15 psi, they do great in soft sand. I had no problems at Pismo Beach last November. No problems on hard packed or the soft sand dunes.

yea, my puny MTRs did great too.
Eh, Mr. Prez, watcha doing out here where the real cruisers are...? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom