Tires replaced by dealer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a used 2016 LC (yay!). I noticed the dealer replaced the tires on the car with General Grabber APT 275/65R18. However, I see the stock tire on the vehicle is recommended to be 285/60R18. Is the replacement OK or should I look to get these replaced?

Congrats on the new LC!
Those tires will be fine but OEM is obviously going to be the recommendation.

I am looking at replacing my stock size with 275/70/18 FWIW.

Just bought a used 2016 LC (yay!). I noticed the dealer replaced the tires on the car with General Grabber APT 275/65R18. However, I see the stock tire on the vehicle is recommended to be 285/60R18. Is the replacement OK or should I look to get these replaced?

There are two General Grabber APT tires possible for the size you stated with different RCTIP (Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure):

1. ISO-Metric Standard Load 275/65R18 116T (With Snowflake designation): RCTIP on your 2016 LC200 33psi F/R.

2. LT-Metric LT275/65R18 123/120R Load Range E (No Snowflake designation): RCTIP on your 2016 LC200 45psi F/R.

Out of curiosity, which ones did they give you?

HTH

Last edited:
There are two General Grabber APT tires possible for the size you stated with different RCTIP Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure):

1. ISO-Metric Standard Load 275/65R18 116T (With Snowflake designation): RCTIP on your 2016 LC200 33psi F/R.

2. LT-Metric LT275/65R18 123/120R Load Range E (No Snowflake designation): RCTIP on your 2016 LC200 45psi F/R.

Out of curiosity, which ones did they give you?

HTH
#2. Should I fill to 45 PSI? I don't haul or tow generally.

I actually prefer the 275/65/r18 size over the OEM specifications as:

1: This tire size is easier to obtain and tends to be a cheaper alternative to the OEM size.

2: You get a slightly taller tire (more sidewall) to help with the absorbing small bumps in the road.

3: These tend to be p-metric (and not E-rated) and more compliant with highway driving needs. You may want to swap these out to bigger E-rated tires if you are planning on doing heavy off-road activities.

4: Due to the slightly larger tire diameter, your speedometer is more in line with what your actual speed is. The OEM tire size tends to be around 2 mph under the speed you are actually going (it’s like Toyota knew people were going to beef up their tire size from the factory)

Also, you may want to look at getting the spare swapped out for the 275/65/r18 size when you have the chance - if you are planning on sticking with this tire size of course.

Last edited:
#2. Should I fill to 45 PSI? I don't haul or tow generally.

Yes. The RCTIP for your LC200 for all weights from unladen to GVWR is a MINIMUM of 45psi. Anything below that is underinflated and could lead to heat buildup in the tire, uneven tire wear, unpredictable handling, poorer gas mileage, more road noise, etc.

Don't forget to initialize your TPMS sensors to account for the higher inflation pressure:

TPMS2_Reset_18JAN18_zps8pwuusr9.jpg

That's from my 2013 LC200 manual, but should be similar for your 2016.

HTH

I actually prefer the 275/65/r18 size over the OEM specifications as:

1: This tire size is easier to obtain and tends to be a cheaper alternative to the OEM size.

2: You get a slightly taller tire (more sidewall) to help with the absorbing small bumps in the road.

3: These tend to be p-metric (and not E-rated) and more compliant with highway driving needs. You may want to swap these out to bigger E-rated tires if you are planning on doing heavy off-road activities.

4: Due to the slightly larger tire diameter, your speedometer is more in line with what your actual speed is. The OEM tire size tends to be around 2 mph under the speed you are actually going (it’s like Toyota knew people were going to beef up their tire size from the factory)

Also, you may want to look at getting the spare swapped out for the 275/65/r18 size when you have the chance - if you are planning with sticking with this tire size of course.
Good call on the spare.

Yes. The RCTIP for your LC200 for all weights from unladen to GVWR is a MINIMUM of 45psi. Anything below that is underinflated and could lead to heat buildup in the tire, uneven tire wear, unpredictable handling, poorer gas mileage, more road noise, etc.

Don't forget to initialize your TPMS sensors to account for the higher inflation pressure:

View attachment 3021968

That's from my 2013 LC200 manual, but should be similar for your 2016.

HTH
Sounds good, I'll fill them tonight.

Posting removed - looks like OP mentioned they are E rated tires. It’s interesting the dealer would fit these instead of P-metric rated tires.

Last edited:
Posting removed - looks like OP mentioned they are E rated tires. Interesting that the dealer would fit these instead of LT rated tires.

"E rated tires" are "LT rated tires" FYI.

If I'm not towing, hauling, or off-roading 90% of the time, would it be worth swapping to P tires for $1k?

It's really up to you and how you prioritize the trade-offs.

ISO-Metric / P-Metric tires generally provide a smoother ride, less road noise, better gas mileage, and often better braking and handling; but often not very good off-road capability.

On the other hand...

LT-Metric tires generally offer increased durability (read resistance to puncture) and far superior off-road performance.

If I were in your situation, I'd run with the LT-Metric tires you already have until you can clearly identify what it is you need in a replacement tire. The LT-Metric General ATP tires look like a solid tire. Remember, all P-Metric tires (as well as all LT-Metric tires) are not created equal. After you have some quality seat time in your new LC200, and the more you read on this forum, you will be better able to identify a particular tire manufacturer, size and construction that would best suit your needs.

HTH

It's really up to you and how you prioritize the trade-offs.

ISO-Metric / P-Metric tires generally provide a smoother ride, less road noise, better gas mileage, and often better braking and handling; but often not very good off-road capability.

On the other hand...

LT-Metric tires generally offer increased durability (read resistance to puncture) and far superior off-road performance.

If I were in your situation, I'd run with the LT-Metric tires you already have until you can clearly identify what it is you need in a replacement tire. The LT-Metric General ATP tires look like a solid tire. Remember, all P-Metric tires (as well as all LT-Metric tires) are not created equal. After you have some quality seat time in your new LC200, and the more you read on this forum, you will be better able to identify a particular tire manufacturer, size and construction that would best suit your needs.

HTH
Awesome, thanks for the help!

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Any time :cheers:

Don't be reluctant to post up any questions you have about your new truck - you will find incredible depth and breadth to the knowledge base on this forum which is filled with helpful members.

Welcome aboard!

Congrats on the new LC!
Those tires will be fine but OEM is obviously going to be the recommendation.

I am looking at replacing my stock size with 275/70/18 FWIW.
275/70R18 FTW

I "test drove" 275/65R18 (from my brother's Tundra), but kept with the 275/70R18 General Grabber ATX. 1" doesn't seem like much, but fills the wheelwells much better.

Yes, 32" means the speedometer matches actual speed; I found the 33" tires mean 75 mph speedometer indicated speed is 77-78 mph actual (per Waze app and Garmin standalone GPS unit) on my truck.

32 vs 33 on LX570.jpg

31 vs 32 vs 33.jpg

20220430 IMG_0434.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom