Tire/Wheel dilemma (1 Viewer)

Given the wheels are the exact same which would you buy for the same price, ~$2K.

• A. Four nearly new take offs with Michelin LT/X tires and TPMS. Do a four wheel rotation.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • B. Four nearly new take offs. Buy a 5th wheel and tire. Do a five wheel rotation.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • C. Five new wheels. Do a five wheel rotation. Same price A. but additional cost of tires.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • D. Four new wheels. Do a four wheel rotation. Slightly less than A. but additional cost of tires.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A dilemma for folks to consider. Really my dilemma. Found four Tundra take offs I like with Michelin LT/X tires (275/65/R18) and TPMS. Good price. For the same cost I could get five new wheels (same as those on the Tundra) and for more $$ put the tires of my choice on them. I am not opposed to the Michelins but have not figured out what I want. So the forcing the issue.

I would prefer do a five tire rotation simply because I do not put a lot of miles per year on my rigs so by doing a five rotation they all wear out about the time they age out. A four tire rotation would mean the spare would age out before being worn out.

Hopefully not too confusing.

Last edited:
You don't say what size the Tundra take-off tires are, but I'll bet they are not the same as on the LC200.

Ergo, I voted for 5 new wheels and tires of your choice - with a 5 tire rotation.

HTH

Might also want to double check the usefulness of a Tundra TPMS sensor in a 200, if that’s factoring into your cost analysis.

I went through this at one point, the Tundra TPMS does not work with the LC.

Also, at the time, the tires that were on the tundra trd rims were too big for the 200. I wasn't lifted yet though, so I'd recommend doing the math.

Might also want to double check the usefulness of a Tundra TPMS sensor in a 200, if that’s factoring into your cost analysis.

What’s your current ride? Lx570 on 21’s? 20’s? Why are you replacing rims? Tundra wheels with michelin AT’s are a nice combo. I’m running those michelin AT’s in size 20 on my wife’s expo and love em. They wear like iron and do pretty good in the snow.

I have stock 20’s on my lx570 with bfg ko’s. I do a 5 wheel rotation and like that I’m utilizing that extra wheel and tire and it’s not rotting under the truck. It is an extra step for the oil change and I think it’s a pain in the ass for the tech that services it.

Thanks for the replies especially the info on the TPMS not being compatible. During the spring sale I bought five TPMS so could use them regardless. The tires would fit as they are 275/65/R18. Current tires are Nexen Roadian HP which the dealer in Texas put on before I bought it. They are not great tires for my needs and the spare needs to be replaced as it is now 7 years old.

Decided to pull the trigger and bought 5 new wheels and will go that route. So now I can sit back and continue the tire dilemma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom