Tire recommendations for MT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was torn between the dura trac and the st maxx. Kept reading about sidewall damage from rocks at low pressure with the dura trac. I want to play on trails so I went cooper. For overlanding I'd go dura trac or cooper at.

I'm wondering about the new ST Pro. It sounds like Cooper has remedied some of the issues of the past such as chunking. Would like to hear a local report.

LOL after all of this i might just keep my BFG KOs for another season as long as they will balance out OK. The have a ton of tread left after about 40-45,000 miles but do have a vibration at 60mph. Besides, i just finished a cylinder head rebuild that basically killed my budget for a while. We will see.

But i really appreciate this thread. I think the tire choice is really affected by WHERE you wheel and i think this thread has a lot of good info. I spend a lot of time in Georgia in the winters. Down here the mud is different than out west. It is a clay based soil that is just like "clay". Even in the woods wheeling a MT is what really does well. Mud, tree roots, wet leaves and loose rocks. OUt around Moab or in the southeast I would GUESS that the have a lot more large rock that needs traction. But that is a guess since i have only been down there a few times.

The point is i am trying to find a tire that will do all three of these areas form. I am living in WY May-Oct so lots of summer trail time out there. Then I am in GA Nov-April which has some good winter trails, wet and muddy. In between those two look forward to making more trips down to Moab area.

To sum it up. When i do replace what i have i am really considering the Cooper ST Maxx (thanks to you guys) and my original top choise of Toyo MT Open Country.

We have a summer place outside of Anaconda its 8 miles off of the pavement. I was always a believer in running MT's between Arizona and Montana. Wore out the BFG's, Toyo's and Hankook's which are popular in the Butte area. A friend convinced me to give the Toyo AT II a try in the "C" load range. I have been able to go anywhere the MT's did with a few exceptions. The at's also made it easier to slip on a set of chains if needed. Billings is a whole nuther world though than SW Montana.

I played with my Cooper ST Maxx's in the "snow" up Hyalite outside Bozeman on Sunday. Drove down into a camp site that wasn't gated. Someone else had already broken track. But I did a few 3 point turns in the snow just for fun. These are the first real AT/MT tire I've ever owned. Since I went snow-wheeling with some Jeeps on New Years with my old highway tires (Michelin M/S 2's) I can say the Coopers bite the powder a LOT better. Haha

For at tires I love the ko2s i have been running them on my 200 now all over . They have a ton or grip on just about everything and great wear so far . Mt kevlars are a great tire to loud kinda . General at2 are nice to close 2nd if not first depending on price compared to ko2s

I am running AT3s and am really happy, my friend swears by Toyo MTs, but they sound loud and clunky to me, but it might be his spacer lift

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom