tire recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s an excellent find.
cant remember when I stumbled across this, tire browsing is my guilty pleasure lol, it was a nice find. Hopefully someone gives it a whirl and reports back. I was tempted by this after having used the ATX in their E rated platform. It blew me away for how well it performed on the highway and city streets. Handling, in both wet and dry, and road/tire noise were fantastic. They didn’t hold up as well off road as they did on the streets. That’s the only reason I am not running them at this moment. The Kendas are nearly as good on the streets and substantially better off road.

Need some help on picking out a set of tires dedicated for road tripping on 100% pavement. We drive down to Florida from Tennessee a few times a year and the RG’s are overkill. Looking for a dependable, quiet, wet handling and comfortable set of tires. Not towing anything, just family and dog. Currently running 285/70/18 Ridge Grapplers on my new 200 and they have been an amazing tire on my previous 200. However, they are a little loud on the pavement and not the best for road tripping. Certainly not unbearable but about equal to Ko2 if I recall from my previous set.

I’ve been eyeing the Yokohama Geolandar G015 for similar intents. I’ve read some positive reviews here, but wish I could find more.

I may be one of the guinea pigs and pull the trigger soon. Grand majority of miles highway, but desire capable and dependable in most conditions with strong rubber and not as drab as the Michelin Defenders.
GEOLANDAR-A-T-G015-LT-3QL-Web.png

I’ve been eyeing the Yokohama Geolandar G015 for similar intents. I’ve read some positive reviews here, but wish I could find more.

I may be one of the guinea pigs and pull the trigger soon. Grand majority of miles highway, but desire capable and dependable in most conditions with strong rubber and not as drab as the Michelin Defenders.
GEOLANDAR-A-T-G015-LT-3QL-Web.png
This is another I’m seriously considering. It does add a little more aggressive sidewall look compared to the defender. I’m giving the edge to the defender, hoping to find someone who has had both to compare.

Last edited:
I’ve had the Yokos for 20k and I’m very pleased. They are not as quiet as my wife’s Defenders, but that is apples and oranges. The Geolanders are quieter than my previous BFGs, yet handle same/better in all conditions. They are a great match for the LC: subtle, but capable.

Anyone run Ridge Grapplers and switched to

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT or vice versa?​

Go with the Coopers!!

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3​

Anyone running these?
I’ve had the Yokos for 20k and I’m very pleased. They are not as quiet as my wife’s Defenders, but that is apples and oranges. The Geolanders are quieter than my previous BFGs, yet handle same/better in all conditions. They are a great match for the LC: subtle, but capable.
The defenders seem like the practical choice for road tripping with. Quiet and comfortable is what I’m hunting for while keeping my beefier tires for the trails and chunky ranch roads. Also looking at these but no experience with them.

I’ve put a couple thousand miles on a set of Nokian Rotiiva AT plus, and think they could be a good fit for your use case and desire to have something that doesn’t look like a pure highway tire.

I am giving them a try after several years on KO2s, and so far like them. Much quieter although MPG is staying about the same.

I'm looking for the best All-Terrain with the 3PMSF winter rating. I currently have the Copper Discoverer AT3 XLT in 285/65/18 and they're great, just don't have the 3PMSF symbol. Can anyone with experience tell me if these A/T with 3PMSF would be better than the AT3 XLT on snow / ice ?
I really don't do much off-roading, moderate trails at the most, although I definitely should do more being in CO.

Nokian Rottiiva AT Plus
General Grabber ATX
Falken WildPeak AT3W
Goodyear Wrangler UltraTerrain AT (made exclusively for DiscountTire)
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac
Edit:
Adding Toyo OpenCountry AT III to the list, not so great reviews on TireRack, but all the reviews on the 200 Forum here have been great.

LoveLand_Pass_2020_Side_I.jpg

Last year I did switch out in the winter to the Discoverer M+S Studdable snow, but trying to avoid switching out 2X per year, Spring and Fall. Also considering another set of wheels to leave snow tires mounted on so I can easily switch myself, just don't have a great place to store wheels.
I ended up selling these TRD Wheels when I got the above TRD Pro BBS above, wish now I would've held onto them.
The 275/65/18's definitely look a lot smaller and don't fill the wheel well nearly as well as a 285/65/18.
Unfortunately I haven't found any 3PMSF dedicated snow tires in a 285/65/18

CooperDiscovererSnow_VI.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking for the best All-Terrain with the 3PMSF winter rating. I currently have the Copper Discoverer AT3 XLT in 285/65/18 and they're great, just don't have the 3PMSF symbol. Can anyone with experience tell me if these A/T with 3PMSF would be better than the AT3 XLT on snow / ice ?
I really don't do much off-roading, moderate trails at the most, although I definitely should do more being in CO.

Nokian Rottiiva AT Plus
General Grabber ATX
Falken WildPeak AT3W

View attachment 2882120

Last year I did switch out in the winter to the Discoverer M+S Studdable snow, but trying to avoid switching out 2X per year, Spring and Fall. Also considering another set of wheels to leave snow tires mounted on so I can easily switch myself, just don't have a great place to store wheels.
I ended up selling these TRD Wheels when I got the above TRD Pro BBS above, wish now I would've held onto them.
The 275/65/18's definitely look a lot smaller and don't fill the wheel well nearly as well as a 285/65/18.
Unfortunately I haven't found any 3PMSF dedicated snow tires in a 285/65/18

View attachment 2882127
How are the AT3 xlt on road noise and comfort?

Nokian Rottiiva AT Plus

I can only speak to the Nokians, but went with them after a very similar search (also in CO). So far so good, just drove to Crested Butte and back this past week. The drive back to the Front Range yesterday was pretty much packed snow and ice door to door and they did very well. Of course they are brand new, so it will be interesting to see if snow performance holds as they wear.

Previously I was alternating KO2s summer/fall and Hakka R2s in the winter for nearly six years. Great combo, but thought I would try the "one tire for everything" approach for a year or two. Overall I'm pretty skeptical that the Rotiivas will still do as well in the snow in a year or two from now, but am going to give it a shot. They are 275/65/18, E-rated. For a brief period this fall I tried the Toyo AT3s in 285/65/18, but was surprised to find that they rubbed like crazy with even moderately sharp turns. I also found them really loud and sluggish feeling on pavement, much more so than KO2s.

How are the AT3 xlt on road noise and comfort?

Unbelievably quiet and smooth, hard to believe from a fairly aggressive AT tire.

I can only speak to the Nokians, but went with them after a very similar search (also in CO). So far so good, just drove to Crested Butte and back this past week. The drive back to the Front Range yesterday was pretty much packed snow and ice door to door and they did very well. Of course they are brand new, so it will be interesting to see if snow performance holds as they wear.

Previously I was alternating KO2s summer/fall and Hakka R2s in the winter for nearly six years. Great combo, but thought I would try the "one tire for everything" approach for a year or two. Overall I'm pretty skeptical that the Rotiivas will still do as well in the snow in a year or two from now, but am going to give it a shot. They are 275/65/18, E-rated. For a brief period this fall I tried the Toyo AT3s in 285/65/18, but was surprised to find that they rubbed like crazy with even moderately sharp turns. I also found them really loud and sluggish feeling on pavement, much more so than KO2s.

Thanks for the info, the Rotiiva may be at the top of my list. Interesting about the Toyo AT III, I don't think I'd go any bigger than a 285/65/18 on my LX, I haven't noticed any rubbing with that size though.

My decision was expedited this week when I came out to flat tire on Thursday caused by this

Screw_Tread_II.jpg

The road hazard thru DiscountTire covered the unrepairable tire, screw was on outer edge and went into inside sidewall, plus a pro-rated credit on the other three since they were at 11/32nd and adding 1 new at 16/32nds wouldn't work very well.
I ended up going with the Toyo A/T III LT285/65/18. Very happy with them so far, very comfortable ride, road noise slightly more than the Coopers but with the tread pattern on the Toyo's I expected a little more noise,

Toyo_OC_ATIII_CityPark_I.jpg

I'll be able to get them out in snow soon.

Toyo_3PMSF.jpg

CityPark_I.jpg

Nokian Rottiiva AT Plus
General Grabber ATX
Falken WildPeak AT3W
Edit:
Adding Toyo OpenCountry AT III to the list, not so great reviews on TireRack, but all the reviews on the 200 Forum here have been great.

I went Toyo vs K02 because research on this forum plus the people behind the AT3 validate it’s ideal for this specific platform -
Post in thread 'Toyo OpenCountry AT3 Experience?'
Toyo OpenCountry AT3 Experience? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/toyo-opencountry-at3-experience.1220561/post-13749760

YMMV

Nokians. I've run WRG3 on my cars and trucks for years, year round, in Michigan. Great road tire, and does better than any all-season on snow and ice.

Recently put Rotiiva AT Plus 275/70R18 on my 200, love them. Bigger size is stiffer and heavier than stock, narrower. Running them at 41psi they are definitely stiffer than the originals, heavier, maybe louder but barely noticeable. I do notice they have a sound on wet pavement, just a little louder tread noise. They track better than the originals, probably the higher pressure and narrower tire both contribute.

Last week it took me 6 hours to drive 174 miles home from O'Hare into Michigan, pretty good blizzard just below freezing, the worst conditions. 50+mph on slush and packed snow, very stable. Crossing through slush for lane changes, completely solid feel, I've not had a rig feel that solid at speed in slush before. Not magic, I nearly slid through a red light a couple days ago on slush.

These are probably not great AT tires, but seem plenty capable for light off-roading. I think they would be a more comfortable tire in next smaller size, much less weight and stiffness.

20211024_151043.jpg

Anyone running these?

The defenders seem like the practical choice for road tripping with. Quiet and comfortable is what I’m hunting for while keeping my beefier tires for the trails and chunky ranch roads. Also looking at these but no experience with them.

Just drove 400mi. with on the Revo3 and they are my favorite tire for the 200. They have to be the quietest, smoothest and rain traction tire I’ve ever used on the 200. If you don’t need a super aggressive A/T or “hybrid“, buy these.

Anyone using the Firestone Destination X/T? If so, how do you like them?

I had older versions on my small pickup and they were good tires. TIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom