Tire opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good results so far with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. I think everything at this size is an E-load rating, so whatever can be done to smooth the road ride is appreciated. I think the Goodyears have a Kevlar ply that supposedly contributes to a smooth ride, and they seem to ride pretty nice to me. Can't go wrong with BFGs either, but they are charging a lot of money for old tire technology IMHO.

For AT's I have had BFG's (great offroad and good overall but noisy, wear fast and hydroplaned badly when about 60% worn), then BS Revo's (no complaints; great in every way but wore unevenly - rotate on schedule) and now have Pirelli ATR's and they are the best wearing and handling of the lot - but not as good in the slop or sand. Definately biased towards the hard pack but a real improvement over the old Scorpions with their weak sidewalls.

BTW: I do a 5 wheel rotation now. I just like all my tires to be of same type, vintage & wear. I've needed to use the spare on this rig way too often!

I'd prefer the BFG A/T based on past experience but the size I need on an 18" rim is a ridiculous $290 each.

I hear you on the price. I believe one should spare no expense when it comes to tires. Lots of opinions as to which is best. Sales-wise the KO owns the market and for a reason. Considering how long they last the price upgrade is minimal in my opinion. They are my only choice.

The good news is that I was able to buy some OEM 16" wheels so I can buy 285/75R16 tires, which are in a price range I'd already swallowed/accepted (~$200 ea). I think I'll likely stick with the KO since the rebate they are currently offering ($70 on 4) places them very close to less expensive competitors. I don't have the energy or time to search the web far and wide for the absolute perfect tire matched to my exact usage percentages. I've had good experiences with them and enough recommendations from other folks who have used/like them that I'll go with them again.

I'm going to get the D-range in an attempt to improve on-road comfort a little over the E-range. I don't expect to ever need the load bearing capacity of the E-range. There's a small cost savings, not enough to sway my decision based on price though.

I just put on 285/75 Yokohama AT-S. No complaints, and they're actually pretty quiet for an AT tire. Only complaint is they took a lot of weight to balance. Overall I like them as much as the BFG AT's I've had on other vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom