"Tino" 2023 Tundra SR5 CrewMax TRD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my fifth Yota truck now, he is joining is siblings a 1996 T100 and a 1972 FJ40.
The new Tundra will stay relatively stock for a while, but Im going to start a thread since there isnt much info on 3rd gen Tundras on IH8Mud.
Long story short, I ordered a similar truck in October 2022, got sick of waiting in May and found a truck in transit to a nearby dealer.
Picked it up on May 19 and got the AT Atlas topper installed the following day.
1685984121541.png

1685984140042.png

A couple simple mods since then:

Installed Firestone 4614 Airbags in the rear coils (These are for a 200 series LC but they fit)
Some folks claim to install these without removing the rear suspension, I didnt want to knick my new coils with a saw so I removed the coils.
This was pretty simple, I removed the swaybar and top shock mount, as well as the bracketry for the brake lines and rear axle wiring (ABS/E-Locker).
Cutting the bumpstops was nasty, I used a sawzall and it made lots of smoke.

1685984679195.png

1685984689883.png

I fabbed up an aluminum wind fairing frame in an attempt to reduce wind noise and gain back some lost mpgs from the camper top. This was my first alu welding project with a spoolgun and it kicked my butt for a while until i got my settings dialed. The entire assembly attaches to the camper using pre-existing captured fasteners. I scored a large scrap of 1/4 inch thick ABS from a friend who works at a plastics manufacturer. I dont know how much of a difference it will make but it certainly wont make it any worse.
1693597417203.png

1693597455702.png

The Atlas is awesome. Its super quick to deploy and secure. About 2 mins transition time on either end.
I ordered it with a front bed slider window, passenger side slider, and rear hatch fixed window.
It would be a nervous operation adding large holes to the Atlas, it wasn't cheap and I hope to get 15+ years out of it.

I've had the truck since May and I probably have ~20 nights in the Atlas so far?
Some nights solo, some nights with one kid, and some nights with wife and both kids.
4 people is ok for quick camps on road trips, but 1 or 2 people is pretty luxurious.

Happy to report that I drove about 6 hrs total on the highway and paved rural roads last weekend and there was a gas mileage improvement of 1-2 mpg with the fairing that I made for the Atlas topper. Cruise control at 70 mph on the highway and 45-55 on back roads netted a total milage of 18.4 mpg using the dash readout with a 3% correction for the larger tires. 18.4 mpg isnt near the posted EPA numbers of course, but this isnt too bad considering oversized 10-ply AT tires and the Atlas camper top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom