Timing Belt / Water Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 'new to me' 08 with 166,000 miles on the clock. There were lots of service records through the Lexus website and through Carfax (oil every 5K miles / etc). But no record of the timing belt being changed even though it was obvious that someone had been into the front end of the car.

So I do plan on getting it replaced but I have a few questions:

* Do I need to be paranoid about the belt breaking? i.e. should I not drive it until it's done?
* Anyway to determine if it was done? Maybe compare the condition of the water pump surface to the other engine surfaces?
* It's a $950 job from what I can see, partly because the Toyota kit is $450. What alternatives have others gone with (and are happy with)?

Thanks in advance. Love this bone stock car. Drives like a dream and is near / pristine with everything working and excellent paint work! I expect to keep it well into the 200K+ mile range.
20201007_160144.jpg

*Do I need to be paranoid about the belt breaking? i.e. should I not drive it until it's done?
No but I'd put it on the list as one of the first things to do.

* Anyway to determine if it was done? Maybe compare the condition of the water pump surface to the other engine surfaces?
Not really, can take off the front timing covers? (not sure on name) and look at the belt.

* It's a $950 job from what I can see, partly because the Toyota kit is $450. What alternatives have others gone with (and are happy with)?
Tons have gotten this and are happy with it.
Amazon product ASIN B008EEYWKI
Cool color btw

*Do I need to be paranoid about the belt breaking? i.e. should I not drive it until it's done?
No but I'd put it on the list as one of the first things to do.

Not really, can take off the front timing covers? (not sure on name) and look at the belt.

Tons have gotten this and are happy with it.
Amazon product ASIN B008EEYWKI
Cool color btw
BTW - If that is a link, I can't see it for some reason. I think pics only here...

I have a 'new to me' 08 with 166,000 miles on the clock. There were lots of service records through the Lexus website and through Carfax (oil every 5K miles / etc). But no record of the timing belt being changed even though it was obvious that someone had been into the front end of the car.

So I do plan on getting it replaced but I have a few questions:

* Do I need to be paranoid about the belt breaking? i.e. should I not drive it until it's done?

Thanks in advance. Love this bone stock car. Drives like a dream and is near / pristine with everything working and excellent paint work! I expect to keep it well into the 200K+ mile range.
View attachment 2460410
Excellent buy - congrats on your new GX! I just got mine back in May.

To address some of your points:
1. I would plan to change the belt within 6 months. From what I've read/ heard/ posted on this forum, the belts don't snap per se, what happens is they start breaking "teeth" - one too many breaks and the engine can skip time (I posted the same question on this forum a few months ago). This seems to be rare, however
2. I would look in the engine compartment for any stickers that might indicate the belt has been done before - shops (reputable ones at least) will place this somewhere in the engine bay. If not near the radiator, look under the engine covers.
3. any of those kits look good. Aisin is the OEM manufacturer for the water pump, while mitsuboshi makes the timing belt. As long as you have those, you're good.

You may be thinking of this already, but plan to replace the fluids little by little unless they look ok/ you can see that they've been replaced recently. Things like differential & T-case fluids, transmission fluid, spark plugs, etc. You dont have to do these right away (and some would consider overkill), but I like to start my new-to-me car ownership with a clean slate.

The dealership replaced the timing belt in my vehicle but they stuck the sticker onto the underside of the hood. You may want to look there as well, it took me awhile to find it on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom