Timing belt wasn't done till 140k, should I be concerned? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been searching for a 120 for awhile. Just found a one owner '04, 176k miles, and the maintenance record shows the timing belt replacement at 140k. Should this be a concern?

I wouldn’t be concerned. When we got ours at 172,000 ended up replacing it and found the water pump is definitely going.. So long as yours has been done, don’t worry about it.

No problem on timing belt question; however, was the water pump and idler pulleys replaced? Coolant flushed? All preventative maintenance completed? If not, factor into the purchase price. A maintained GX will last a lot of miles!

Whats the big deal about that. Any used car You buy with timing belt should go thru timing belt kit service and you shouldnt trust anybody especialy when you spending 10k plus and timing belt kit is 300$ plus job which wont be total more than 700$
Timing belt is jist belt but you also have water pump, tensioner, thermostat, and 99% some other pulleys which will be worth to change due to milage ( bearings on some of them will be shot for sure) while half of the front will be out its great oportunity to do it all at one shot. Its not worth to save. Check berings on alternator too. Once done you can sleep without headache.

Whats the big deal about that. Any used car You buy with timing belt should go thru timing belt kit service and you shouldnt trust anybody especialy when you spending 10k plus and timing belt kit is 300$ plus job which wont be total more than 700$
Timing belt is jist belt but you also have water pump, tensioner, thermostat, and 99% some other pulleys which will be worth to change due to milage ( bearings on some of them will be shot for sure) while half of the front will be out its great oportunity to do it all at one shot. Its not worth to save. Check berings on alternator too. Once done you can sleep without headache.
New belts and water pump with T-Belt replacement. Fresh oil/filter and air filter too. I know most of the miles were spent as a pavement queen but I want it fresh from the start so I have a base mileage to track things.

Check my thread i went thru same process ;) oils in diffs, transfer case, trans, spark plugs cabin filter brake fluid, these are things which i would pay attention too after buying used car, im not mentioning brakes buy this is obvious thing.

Good luck. Gx is crazy easy to work on, good access to everything so enjoy ! 😎

FWIW I just got mine done last month, right at 140k. Along with the plugs, and control arms / struts / brakes on all 4 corners. Next up is SAIS bypass (this is something you should look into), cv axles & hubs, end links, and a replacement steering rack along with tie rods.

the car was purchased on my behalf from an auction and thankfully I got it for cheap because it's needed work...engine is in great shape but the drivetrain was not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom