Time for new springs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alex Woelfel

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello All,

I have been reading through a lot of post about the AHC system in my 2001 LX 470. I was looking for some input about the rear springs. The vehicle has 310,XXX miles on it, it was a 1 owner car, prior to my buying it in June. And, I have nearly all of the service records for it. Original owner took it to the dealer for everything up until the last 20k miles, when they started going to Pepboys for general service. Overall the AHC still functions well. Raises and lowers without issue, adjustable damping functions, but the ride tends to be a little bouncy. I checked graduations in the system, and I am at about 8 graduations between high and low. So it is probably due for some new globes, but my question is regarding the bounce in the rear. I have a small dip in my neighborhood, and when I hit it going around 25 mph, the back of the car will dip down so much that I feel it hitting the bump stops. Due to the milage/age, and that there is no indication of the rear springs being replaced, would you all think it is due for new rear springs? I know the globes are for damping, and when worn out would contribute to bouncy ride, but would they alone cause the rear to hit the bump stops at lower speeds like that? My thinking was it is a combination of needing new globes, but also the springs may have gotten weak as well. I know a techstream would tell me pressures, but I currently don't have it. Plus, I figured that since the springs are cheap, its worth replacing them first, then doing to globes after that, so that I dont put any excessive stress on new globes due to worn out springs.

Any advice, thoughts, comments are welcome!

Thank you

I have OE LC AHC Springs that came out of a 120k LC you can have for cheap. Not sure if LX are different. I replaced with new springs and my pressures didn’t change much and were the same height as the new ones. At least cheap way to test your issue. They’re the purple and brown dots. DM me if interested.

Get Techstream before replacing rear springs. You really can't do anything helpful with AHC (aside from blindly cranking torsion bars a few turns) without knowing your pressures.

I am guessing you're not actually bottoming out, but might have worn out bushings causing a solid clunk on speed bumps. What bushings have been replaced? At 300k+ they're probably all near end of life if not already replaced.

Reactions: GTV
Copy that on Techstream. I will work towards getting that going. Yeah, I'm sure the bushings haven't been changed. I'll look into that as well. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom