Time for a new alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today after getting out of my welding class I hoped in the cruiser and as soon as I started it up the battery light and ABS light stayed lit up on the dash. Odd. I looked down at my cheap Voltage meter in the cigarette lighter and it was reading 18.9-19.2 Volts. WAY TO HIGH. I pulled over and parked a few spots down from where I started the truck up and grabbed my real volt meter out of the drawers and checked the battery while the truck was off. Now it’s reading 13.2 volts, I start it back up and it’s running at 14.5 volts with no battery or ABS light. Super weird. Drove home with no issues.

Now, 3 months ago I replaced the battery because one random day while driving, anytime I came to a complete stop the truck would completely stall out. First time it happened on a freeway off ramp, that was sketchy. When I checked the voltage on that battery it was reading 16 volts and was climbing as the truck was off. I removed the battery asap and replaced with a new Costco intestate battery. No issues the last 3 months and a few road trips since the new battery voltage reading fine. Today was the first time I got a voltage spike again. I’m starting to think the voltage regulator inside my alternator is going out? I believe it’s an aftermarket 100 amp alternator from the previous owner instead of the oem 80amp. Time to replace it? What kind should I replace with?

I just had the same problem. Burned out all my turn signals and drained my battery with a 3amp parasitic drain. Replaced it and then the stupid plug and now it’s charging just fine. I replaced a battery first as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom