Tie Rod question - can I move it by hand? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was under my rig this weekend checking for any form of leaks. Out of curiosity, I hold on to the tie rod near the steering damper. I tried to roll it back and forth (in circular fashion) and I was able to. It rolled by hand abouu 10-15 degrees back and forth. Since am new to LC/4x4, I'm not sure if this is normal - I don't have any steering problems yet. Please see pic (not mine but from a web post) to illustrate what I mean.

Also, my HDJ81's power steering feels very soft as compared to other cars/pickup trucks. This is the first thing that I noticed and liked on this LC from day1. For a truck as big as the 80, the steering is very soft. And makes for very comfortable steering. Makes one really appreciate the term "power steering". I don't have to exert so much effort in making u turns/reverse, etc. Unlike in other cars that I have driven (honda civics, CRVs, isuze pickups, etc). I kinda basically can do steering with 1 hand (or 1 finger when I'm in our driveway).

Is this by design? Do LC80s really have "soft" power steering? And is this due to this "steering damper" unit? Or "soft" is not normal?

I searched the forum before posting but the results point to either steering problems/wander/pull, etc. I don't have these problems yet.
steeringquestion.jpg

I replaced my TRE's when I rebuilt my axle. IIRC, that sounds about right for the normal range of motion for the TRE's to swivel back and forth.

That's an old trick in Banawe to fool you into getting a repair you don't need. The only real way I know to check the TRE's is by dismounting them and then trying to move them by hand. That can be a job. The next best is to just see if you have wander or easy road pull. If the drive on the ride is steady and assured, you're ok.

Kalawang

mine is moving quite a bit too, seems to be normal given the design of the joints. You do need some play to avoid binding when the suspension moves.

I recently replaced mine. What i found was that the old ones were very loose feeling and i could twist/move them easily. Also, the boots were leaking.

With the new ones on, they still move, but are much stiffer and feel much more solid. Also, no leaky boots either.

I check them by compressing the joint (big pair of channel locks, or push up from below) if they compress they are pooched, rod rotation as described is normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom