Tie Down Rails on Back of Second Row (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Moby

GOLD Star
Threads
I travel with my dog in the back but often need to store soft duffels in the back as well (no, despite his desire, I'm not going to let my golden retriever ride shotgun). There's all this space on the back of the second row that is perfect, but no good way to strap to it without running straps from the child seat tethers down to the floor tie down points. Which my dog then trips over. Wondering if anyone has installed tie down tracks or rails like the following to the back of the second row seats:

Edit: I don't want to mount them on the floor and won't be installing drawers, which is where I see many have mounted their tie down rails.

After having those seat backs off, I wouldn't dare tie down more load than a light duffle. They're fairly thin plastic, held by trim clips.

I'm going to get a Goose Gear plate and mount the tie down tracks to the plate. It won't give me the back of the seats but with the additional tie down points on the floor I won't need it. This will likely be a post holiday project at this point though because like others I will sound proof under the plate.

PXL_20210424_225849219.MP.jpg

I like this type of tie down quite a bit. I used T-nut inserts so I could remove and reinstall them for any reason, like temporary fridge mount or something.

Looks great! That's basically my plan as well, just not on top of drawers (they don't leave enough room for my dog).

I'm going to get a Goose Gear plate and mount the tie down tracks to the plate. It won't give me the back of the seats but with the additional tie down points on the floor I won't need it. This will likely be a post holiday project at this point though because like others I will sound proof under the plate.
Why the hell is everything for overlanding SO EXPENSIVE?

a $50 plate of steel with a few tapped holes should not be costing $750 US!

View attachment 2851945

I like this type of tie down quite a bit. I used T-nut inserts so I could remove and reinstall them for any reason, like temporary fridge mount or something.

May I ask .. what do you have the 2nd row seat restraints latched to? It looks like they wrap around to the front of the seat?

I've been latching them to the grab handles like this, but it is not really snug.

2nd-row-latch.JPG

2nd-row-seat-holders.JPG

May I ask .. what do you have the 2nd row seat restraints latched to? It looks like they wrap around to the front of the seat?

I've been latching them to the grab handles like this, but it is not really snug.

View attachment 2852142

View attachment 2852143
Yes, they hook onto the grab handles on the inside of the B pillar. Once they are hooked, separate the running end of the strap from the standing part (velcro comes apart), pull to tension, then reattach the running end to the standing end using the velcro.

Supply and demand. If you run a business and people willingly pay a premium for your product, isn't it reasonable to charge that premium? Since it is so simple, just go make one like other people on 'mud have. And, I am pretty sure it is baltic birch plywood with a truck bed material type coating.

View attachment 2851945

Nice! Reef? I have the same drawers and have been meaning to add some tie downs. Could you share some product info or links?

View attachment 2852142

View attachment 2852143
On my LX, when i leave the car the seat rolls all the way back. and that was pushing against the folded up seat, and stressing the heck out of the hand hold.
I got a short length of hikers nylon strap, with the plastic male/female ends, put it thru the hand hold and formed a small loop. I THEN put the lexus hook onto the nylon loop, instead of the hand hold.

Keeps the seat fairly snug, but does not strain the driver's seat motor trying to push back against the too-short strap

Yeah, I hear you and while I don't want to start a debate, because I do respect your perspective, I will comment on why I'm going to buy the product.

In my industry people (including the gov) thought it was their right to dictate how much my company charged for our work. In other words they were telling me what my time was worth without any idea how to do what I do or how much and how hard and the months of nights and weekends we had to work to product the product.

Those lawsuits failed.

Also consider that the 200 series is a tiny market to try to recoup development costs. Frankly I'm just happy that people support our platform.

Would I love to not pay $750? Sure :) But I'm going to pay it for all of the reasons above.

All that said, everyone has to decide what is "worth it". I certainly won't tell someone that they should buy this.

View attachment 2852142

View attachment 2852143
It's going to the grab handle like in the diagram, but apparently it's just going around the side. It wouldn't work very well if you were out on the road, but it was good enough to crawl back there and work.

Nice! Reef? I have the same drawers and have been meaning to add some tie downs. Could you share some product info or links?

Yup, Reef drawers. Here's the stuff I bought: Tie down rails, End caps, Tie down rings

It's going to the grab handle like in the diagram, but apparently it's just going around the side. It wouldn't work very well if you were out on the road, but it was good enough to crawl back there and work.

Yup, Reef drawers. Here's the stuff I bought: Tie down rails, End caps, Tie down rings
Thank you.

Thank you.

FYI ..
If you do install those or similar the top you can use 1/4"-20 screws stainless and for nuts use "Joint Connector Hex Drive Nut"
Then you have a flush surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom