Thoughts on a 2015 certified... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

because the new exterior styling is purdy. at least that's why i bought it instead of the 2015 they had on the lot at the same time. :)

**EDIT

i also liked the button layout a lot better than the previous models and the faux wood looks less faux-y, if that's a thing.

i'm not sure if the overhead view was available prior to 2016, but that's also i feature i love... it makes pulling into tight parking spaces a lot easier when you can see front, sides, and rear of the truck all at the same time.

To me, the button relocation to center is the best change of all. Everything else is cosmetic...but the new button layout is so much more practical. I'd love to relocate my '08’s buttons like that somehow. Hmmm... maybe they CAN be relocated? I wonder how tricky that would be...

Last edited:
because the new exterior styling is purdy. at least that's why i bought it instead of the 2015 they had on the lot at the same time. :)

**EDIT

i also liked the button layout a lot better than the previous models and the faux wood looks less faux-y, if that's a thing.

i'm not sure if the overhead view was available prior to 2016, but that's also i feature i love... it makes pulling into tight parking spaces a lot easier when you can see front, sides, and rear of the truck all at the same time.
Good points, thanks.

On my end, the styling is growing on me and in the end, Mr. T's recent remodel is evolutionary and consistent with the overall design. I prefer the first generation Tacomas after the grille refresh and this feels similar.

old new.png

More important (along with the transmission issues) is user interface and endurance. The cabin of my DD is like a second home - finish (faux or not) and function (camera tech, buttons, etc.) all add up to keep me moving and working.

I appreciate a complete package that works well, in balance. Prior builds of an FJ62 and BJ73 (both with HO GM V8s) focused upon sound insulation, safety and comfort at speed (as well as offroad capability). Looking forward to a 200 of either vintage.
:)

Well, a little update, and thanks for the responses on this thread. Today, I bought a 2008, took the plunge with an older one! I drove it home for 4 hours and I am impressed! I miss the full hands free functions of the newest cars, but not too big a deal. I got it for a great price and it will clean up nice. What a solid vehicle! I've had two 80 series and a 60 series, and currently still have my 96, and its fun to see the evolution.
So far, I need the heated seat knobs and just ordered the shakey mirror tsb fix. Tomorrow a good thorough detail!
If anybody has a good source for the heated seat knobs, let me know!,
Thanks, J

**EDIT

Overhead view is on the '13+. It's pretty cool. I look forward to getting into the trails in the spring and trying out that front camera/wheel locator view.

Well, a little update, and thanks for the responses on this thread. Today, I bought a 2008, took the plunge with an older one! I drove it home for 4 hours and I am impressed! I miss the full hands free functions of the newest cars, but not too big a deal. I got it for a great price and it will clean up nice. What a solid vehicle! I've had two 80 series and a 60 series, and currently still have my 96, and its fun to see the evolution.
So far, I need the heated seat knobs and just ordered the shakey mirror tsb fix. Tomorrow a good thorough detail!
If anybody has a good source for the heated seat knobs, let me know!,
Thanks, J
Congrats on the rig... Here is a link to some knock off seat controls someone posted a while back, no idea how well they work...
Seat heater switch * 1 pcs, fit Toyota Landcruiser,used for replace the damaged | eBay

Thanks for the link, I was doing some research earlier, and that seems to be the way to go, just ordered it up! Beats the 250 Toyota quoted the part....

There's a 2014 for sale with 20k miles at Poway Toyota (San Diego).

Silver is the ultimate color for hiding dirt! And it's on the west coast!

My Sonora Gold LC disagrees with your assessment. Even covered in dust and road salt right now it still looks clean from 10' away.

Overhead view is on the '13+. It's pretty cool.

My '13 doesn't have the overhead view. Maybe the LX does? I thought Toyota didn't introduce that in the LC until '16. The '13 has front and side cameras, which you can select, but no birds eye view that shows the entire vehicle. If you know some secret way to enable that, I'd be thrilled to try it

No overhead view on my '13 LC either. Of course, if @TonyP has a way to enable it, please share.

TIA

My '13 doesn't have the overhead view. Maybe the LX does? I thought Toyota didn't introduce that in the LC until '16. The '13 has front and side cameras, which you can select, but no birds eye view that shows the entire vehicle. If you know some secret way to enable that, I'd be thrilled to try it

Haha I forgot about the gold you are right! Unfortunately gold is a unicorn just like green on Cruisers.

I was talking about the side cameras. I thought that's what was being referred to.

I'm in the same boat - lurker who is on the look out for a 200 series (first LC). My question is, how do you value the certification? The reputation of the LC is bulletproof reliability so am I better off opening up my search to non-certified used LCs (and saving a bit of money)? I'd be looking at 2013+ with 40-50k miles. Thanks!

I'm in the same boat - lurker who is on the look out for a 200 series (first LC). My question is, how do you value the certification? The reputation of the LC is bulletproof reliability so am I better off opening up my search to non-certified used LCs (and saving a bit of money)? I'd be looking at 2013+ with 40-50k miles. Thanks!

There are a couple of big ticket items that can go wrong (Front Cover/Cam leaks, starter, water pump, apparently a $400 seat belt) but overall it's a pretty standard Toyota as far as reliability goes, great.

Technically speaking the value of certification should be approximately equal to the value of buying a similar extended warranty for a vehicle of the same age and mileage which is outside its warranty period. If you're looking at a 2011 with 60k miles and the semi-reputable aftermarket warranty companies are charging $2k to warranty it for 3 years/36k miles (I don't know if that $ is correct) then certification is worth about $2k (since Toyota CPO is 12 months/12k comprehensive and 7/100k powertrain). You might say CPO is worth a little more since it's Toyota-backed, or a little less since maybe it covers less, but I'd use that as a proxy

I bought mine from a dealer in Houston and had to have it shipped to Chicago. Carfax and Toyota online service records were good, so Toyota CPO was an insurance policy against a shady dealer. Without the CPO I would've either passed on the vehicle or had to fly to Houston to inspect it.

In the end I paid about $1300 for the 7/100k Toyota platinum wrap, mainly because I took a 5 year loan and while the risk of a really big repair is low I preferred to spend $21/month to avoid the possibility of dealing with multi thousand dollar repair for something like the Navigation system (which I had go on my Acura and which was a $3500 part).

3 Products:
1. CPO - Certified by dealer which includes extended powertrain, etc.. historically 3 yr/100K, but at least on Lexus that changed last year.
- I know, at least for Lexus dealers, they may list truck on eBay at non-CPO price and you can have it CPO'd or have it waived, if they haven't done the inspection/improvement yet. I think dealer cost to designate CPO is under $1000.
2. Toyota CPO Extended Warranty replaces the base CPO warranty and extends the factory warranty, and starts with date of purchase.
3. Platinum Wrap starts at date of first service and extends out to whatever you want, like #2.

When comparing pricing on #2 or #3 your coverage end-date will vary as each have a different start date. In my case the CPO extension got me an extra calendar year for 3 yr/100 vs the wrap. With 2013s being sold in-service in early 2012 it was significant. It was worth the spreadsheet time and estimated annual mileage to sort out.

I have found a CPO 15 white/tan in AZ with 24k miles. the "best" price they quoted me was 59995. more than I want to spend but it is hard to find these close enough to me that I could reasonably go check them out. ideally I'd find a 14 with 20-30k for closer to 50k. I have a lease that ends 8 June. If I don't take this one hopefully I can find a good one in the mean time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom