Thought I had licked ignition noise in the radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I first bought my 94 a couple of months ago there was ignition noise on the FM <92 on the dial. I thought I had this licked with a tune up I did before I left town (new plugs, wires, rotor & cap). I get back after 7 weeks or so and darn it, the noise is back. My wife told me that the noise gradually returned (she only drove it on the weekends while I was gone). Right after the tune up, the noise had gone away. Other than rechecking all the connections and plugs, does anyone have any ideas why this noise would come back. I am between a - 1:banana: and +1 :banana: mechanic, but followed the instructions in the FSM. Is there something that I could have done to cause this problem to return, or some other component causing a failure. When doing the tune up I noticed that there was some corrosion/build up on one of the wire-cap connections, however I believe the wires were in good order (right Idaho Doug?) and all the plugs looked good/OK. The LC drives great too. I am leaning toward the cap/dist area first.

I'll be rechecking everything this weekend, but I thought I would see if I could get some other possibilities to look at as well. The clicking is starting to drive me nuts as the only radio stations I listen to are down there and I have only had to listen to it for 2 days since driving again.

Thanks and everyone have a great weekend, I know I plan on it.

Ross

I finally tackled this. First I decided to check the radio grounds. YIKES, the dash is a bit of a pain to take apart. Lots of parts. No love there. The noise went away when the antenna was removed. I then went on to check the ignition system. Removed all the wires from the cap and reinstalled, making sure they were properly seated. Noise went away.
How on earth could I have screwed that up when I did the tune-up? Hopefully the noise will stay away.

Ross

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom