Thnking about buying a 5th gen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my trusty 3rd gen 4runner is getting old. I've had it a long time and it's in the 200k+ range and it's time for an upgrade.

Went and test drove a new 4runner yesterday at the dealership. Unfortunately I wasn't impressed. It was an SR5 model that I drove because they only had one limited and someone else was out driving it. The interior fit and finish was a big step down from what I have now. The I just sat in the limited once it came back and found the seat was too high and my head was interfering with the ceiling. I also wasn't terribly impressed with the road manners of the SR5. Overall - not what I expected. The problem is that there really isn't anything else out there that's a comparable vehicle - ie body on frame suv that's smaller in size.

So my questions are these:

Has anyone cut the seat brackets out of a limited and lowered the front drivers seat? Or if not have you at least looked under there and could you tell me if there is room to drop the seat about 2 inches by cutting out the brackets and welding in new ones? I don't think I can get a limited without a sunroof, so unfortunately that doesn't leave much other option than lowering the seat.

Second - what have you done to help with the body roll? The one I test drove felt a lot more like a suburban than my current 4runner. Is the xreas a lot better?

third - my 4runner has a front receiver hitch I use for a winch and for my snowplow bracket. The only ones I see on the market put the receiver below the front bumper. On the 5th gen that's really low. Are there any out there with the receiver through the front bumper/grille?

Last edited:
I have not driven any other 4runners, but I'm really happy with my trail with KDSS. I have read that it is much better for body roll vs the sr5.

Ergonomics seem to really be hit/miss with Toyota. My 06 taco was fine for me, but my wife hated it. Runner seems OK for both of us.

Mounting a plow? I would look at a truck. Since the 3rd gen, even though its still body on frame, its not as much of a truck.

Any reason you wouldn't like a Tacoma?

I already have a plow on my 3rd gen. It's not for commercial use. Just for my own driveway. I actually built it myself. https://forum.ih8mud.com/95-gen-toyota-trucks/683416-3rd-gen-4runner-plowing-some-snow.html I'd just like to be able to transfer it to the new ride. - the 3rd gen plows pretty well. A lot of people think they are similar, but the 4runner is actually a stronger fully boxed frame and overall probably a better plow rig than a Tacoma. (I used to own a snow plow company and I'd never use either for commercial plowing, but between the two shorter wheelbase is better for plowing - if making money at it is you goal, time is important, and short wheelbases are faster for clearing lots.)

I'm not buying it for plowing though. Just a daily driver, all around vehicle. Just something I'd like to be able to still do. If not I can just buy a snowblower. My driveway is only about 20x100 feet, so I could do it with a blower in an hour or so. I just have a plow because I can clear it in 5 minutes and it was kinda fun to build.

I've thought about a tacoma and a tundra as well. The problem there is that you can't put skis inside and my garage at work is 6'8" so I can't have a ski rack on top and still fit inside. And most of the reason I use the SUV is for camping and road trips where having all the gear inside is more useful. I've had a couple of trucks and for what I want now an SUV works a little better.

A Fortuner is really what I want, but alas I can't have one.

I think I need to go drive a KDSS limited and see if I like it better. I also haven't driven a GX460, which is a little out of my price range, but might be worth waiting a year or two for a nice used one. I don't know how much difference there is between the two.

It looks like custom built winch behind the factory bumper can be done>
DSC_0071.jpg

I can't see any reason why I couldn't do a hitch as part of the same framework under there to go along with it.

"The problem is that there really isn't anything else out there that's a comparable vehicle - ie body on frame suv that's smaller in size. most of the reason I use the SUV is for camping and road trips where having all the gear inside is more useful."

My family's experience/opinions:
Xterra, as an alternative? Our family had a couple. Good build quality, reliable, good power and handling. R/T Cheyenne to San Francisco trip was comfortable.
However, my '13 4Runner is a little bigger, w/o being too large. The 4R is a little better riding, more comfortable vehicle with better cargo space and rear seat room/access. Easier to fit skis inside.
I agree about the SR5. We drove it and found the handling vague and soft. No Trail editions were available to test after checking several dealers. This was a couple of years ago and we bought an Xterra Pro4x.

The 2013 Trail w/Nav I purchased for my own use came with a standard rear locker and it has the KDSS option(neither of which are available on the 4R Limited...The XREAS on the Limited helps it handle better than an SR5). The Trail handles MUCH better than the SR5 on pavement and on rutted gravel roads and eroded trails. It is comfortable on trips. We had a GX470 which was more luxo/leather, etc., but we don't miss the leather or adjustable suspension. The new 4R Limited I drove also had leather, but I preferred the Trail with its host of offroad features to the Limited's leather and mall crawler oriented 20inch rims and low profile tires.
Drive a Trail. Headroom o.k. for 6'1'. To gain a little head room, you can get a 2014 Trail w/o a moonroof. If leather is what is attracting you to the Limited, the Trail with aftermarket leather is still less than a Limited and more versatile once you are off pavement.

Thanks Wyo -
For some reason it never registered for me that KDSS and XREAS were two different things. I much prefer the limited interior and had thought I might just add f $ r arbs if I ever decide to make it a real offroader (I do still have an FJ40 on 38's with lockers for the hardcore stuff, but the reality is I hardly ever use it anymore). After a little reading, possibly the trail with aftermarket seats would be a decent option.

I've had mine for four years, 86,000 miles, and no (knock on wood) issues at all.

Running a 3" lift, LR UCA's, Budbuilt winchplate w/ Ramsey 8000 winch, Gobi rack, drawers, no KDSS or nav.

Come over to T4R.org and talk in the 5th Gen section, we'll get all your questions answered.

Trail Edition

I had an '11 SR5 and upgraded for the '12 TE with KDSS for better handling, looks, and it is easier to modify in my opinion. The steering on the trail felt more precise maybe it is the KDSS maybe not.

I love my TE - not a fan of the 14s. From what I have seen the body on frame SUVs are going to be gone in the near future. Looks like I will have my TE for a long time, but isn't that why we buy them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom