This started a drawing. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1st post here

So after camping last season with my wife, 2 kids and my 2 dogs. I decided that we might need a trailer. Over the last year I have been planning and drawing it out. I took lot of examples from big companies, and started building my own! So here is my my take on a turtle back.
The plan is to have a full slide out kitchen and storage with a roof top tent, shower awning and additional storage between the tent and main storage area

B0798697-F0D1-405E-AE60-8E8711247BE3.jpeg

932BDE0C-35A7-4178-8086-5D4EDE5B808E.jpeg

63F6DAEC-F10B-488E-B088-F9E35C03970B.jpeg

5B47E758-5155-421B-BFA5-8BE1F3F86579.jpeg

Welded the frame and supports, then the “cups” for the stabilization jacks, so I can remove them. Then started doing the uprights.

D953B99B-1E79-41C9-AA66-18A60D278117.jpeg

580B39B8-4019-404C-818E-D7941A1B1FF9.jpeg

822AF64D-65E8-4432-BC78-BCE1CD5BB9A2.jpeg

EFA7E5FF-306F-4CE4-9387-BABA1437BDE3.jpeg

40E2CBE7-5309-4E9F-887B-63280A25D424.jpeg

I like it! What's your plan with the tongue tube? is it sticking back that far for something?
And that kitchen slide! Holy cow that's going to be a nice sized kitchen.

I like it! What's your plan with the tongue tube? is it sticking back that far for something?
And that kitchen slide! Holy cow that's going to be a nice sized kitchen.
So I am thinking of making some sort of storage solution or use it for a jockey wheel, if not I will use the plasma cutter 😎😎.

So half the slide out will be storage the other half is kitchen. once I get it painted with the ,Kevlar bedliner we use at Tenacity Overlanding, then I will put that storage area together

your jacks locations seems a bit unconventional, any reason?

your jacks locations seems a bit unconventional, any reason?
I’ll have leveling jacks on all four corners, just have not yet built my fenders, they continue all the way back and will provide a spot for the mount points. Jacks on all 4 corners, level the roof top tent, and can lift one side if there is ever a flat.

I discovered with our TrailBlazer trailer that I only needed two supports at the rear and that I could use the tongue jack as the final leveling adjustment.

I am a little concerned about the tongue. One or more tubes really need to extend past the front cross-member and overlap the main part of the frame.

I discovered with our TrailBlazer trailer that I only needed two supports at the rear and that I could use the tongue jack as the final leveling adjustment.

I am a little concerned about the tongue. One or more tubes really need to extend past the front cross-member and overlap the main part of the frame.
noted, and already part of the design, the tongue is not finalized as I am still working on the spare tire mounts and a few other things.

We decided to use 4 stabilizers and not have a tongue jack, just a choice, I am sure 3 would have been fine but we decided on this for a couple of reasons. also it hard to see because the spare tire is in the way, but there are 2 more supports for the tongue that extend into the main body.

We decided to use 4 stabilizers and not have a tongue jack, just a choice, I am sure 3 would have been fine but we decided on this for a couple of reasons. also it hard to see because the spare tire is in the way, but there are 2 more supports for the tongue that extend into the main body.
For hooking up & unhooking, to your tow rig, you'll find that a dedicated tongue jack will be much more convenient than your front stabilizer jacks. And a tongue jack with a wheel on it will be even that much better. Just an opinion from someone that has had both setups.

For hooking up & unhooking, to your tow rig, you'll find that a dedicated tongue jack will be much more convenient than your front stabilizer jacks. And a tongue jack with a wheel on it will be even that much better. Just an opinion from someone that has had both setups.
My utility trailer has one jack and wheel, it does come in handy, but I think I will weld a jack mount on the tongue so that I can move just one jack to the front for that purpose. thanks for the input guys! they remove with just a pin, so welding a single cup to the tongue will be quick and easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom