Thinking hard on buying a JDM HJ61. Need advice. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm thinking of moding up a backup camera to be in the font of the vehicle, mount the camera on the front left side someplace so I can see well enough to pass.

It already has front and rear cameras. The front camera is angled slightly down, thinking more of rocks/obstacles, but could be tilted upward for a better cross-line view.

1988-9459-19.jpg

Update?? Did you pull the trigger on the HJ61?? Are you now part of the cool kids club??!!

I have not purchased it (yet). I'm so uncool that even if I bought it, I still wouldn't be allowed in the cool kids club.

I've owned a lot of diesel cruisers, and a mitsu, Isuzu, Nissan and wrenched others.
The 12HT is by far the most pleasant engine I've owned this far.
Simple, powerful and easy to service.
Second best was my previous 2H with turbo and IC, just a tad easier engine without the vac chapter, but a edic system with old electronics needs attention. No worries, as it will always get you home.

Don't worry about stocking a pump, I'd start collecting 24v components, a complete wiper assembly and other odd 61 parts.

You won't regret going 61.
I have no problems switching lanes in the UK in my LHD, I don't see the issue of driving a RHD anywhere, if you have normal awareness and open eyes.
What's the difference really?
And I think the 60 is one of the cruisers with best 360 degree view, only the short 70 is better.

I'd say go for it!!

I recently purchased a JDM hj61, moved from a my 2nd JDM bj74 (garage toys ) I was reluctant as the Bj74's are a blast to drive, but the 12ht 5 speed, I'm wrapped, go for it, good rigs are hard to come by, even in Oz,
The cool factor is non negotiable, as soon as you transfer the ownership papers, the coolness is transfered to you.
Buy yourself some FSM and do homework, you sound your experience enough to tackle the core the standard chores required,

I've seen @Mr Tibbs truck and two other HJ61's in Colorado but that being said I bought my 61 for a steal and a half.

They're out there but you have to look really hard, like 6 months of hard searching. Then find a good seller. Finally pull the trigger into the unknown.

I have AAA 200 mile road tow service as well as some silver coins/cash hidden in my truck at all times in case I need a tow in the middle of nowhere. Trust me I drive very often with no cell service within 150 mile radius.

Working and living in the Rockies I needed a truck I could work on, have ample power, sleep/camp in, be unstoppable in any conditions, and have a little bit of cool/recognizability factor.

I drove my truck 23,000 miles since I bought it last October. 4,000 miles of which was on the Alaskan Highway and throughout Canada and the U.S. when I purchased it.

You can read the article I wrote here:
http://expeditionportal.com/importing-a-25-year-old-vehicle-101/

That being said I had the wiring completely redone by Safari Limited and have bought rare parts from @cruiseroutfit

That being said there will be times of agony when you need parts and a funky repair or two.

Plus we have the greatest support network ever thanks to @woody

I've been stuck in all parts of the country and had a mud member or two lend a hand.

P.S.
I pass people all the time, cruise at 74mph in the mountains, and have a damn good time doing it. I might add this is my only vehicle. Daily driver completely. Except my legs which is why I always carry a skateboard, bike, and or skis to get me out of a situation.

Or a few beers and your right thumb for hitching always works too!

Ill throw in my 2 cents!

Try to import from someone who has some mechanical knowledge. If the person whos importing the truck has no idea what to look for, you might find some undesirable things lurking behind the good paint and low miles. For example, when I bought my 12HT (i had to import a whole truck to do it so i DID buy an HJ61), It showed up and looked great. Until i spotted lots of silicon sealant that looked fairly "factory". After a steam cleaning, the spray paint came off the oil pan, and the pan was absolutely ROTTEN. Totally eaten. Maybe 30% silicon sealant. Iv been spending a lot of time hunting for a new pan. Other than that.... just a few radiator cracks that didnt show till 5k miles later.

As to your other questions:
they are very easy to wrench on. Far simpler (IMO) than my old 2F. None of that vacuum hose silliness. The engine is more compact and simple in many ways. And other than oil changes and air filters, i havent changed anything in 6k miles or so? The engine only had 75k on it when I bought it.

I love my 12HT in my 60. If you have any more technical questions feel free to PM me.

Also- Who are you working with to import the vehicle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom