Thinking about moving - What's the cruiser life like around Clarksville? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
My wife and I just survived this hellish winter in Iowa and are seriously considering selling our place here and moving to the Clarksville area.

We have kids there who may produce grand kids, I'm a retired veteran, so want to be near a military base, and am not interested in surviving - 50 F again.

We started out by planning to remodel the house and garage, and realized it would be easier and cheaper to just buy another house, instead. That led to wondering why we were still here.

Anyone have input about life in that area, and opportunities to take out a precocious FJ55 and a foxhound/pit cross to have adventures? We're looking for a nice little acreage with a nice sized garage where I can turn wrenches and shape metal to my hearts' content.

23131714_10214479487004984_3728312656975450315_n.jpg

Well, I'm moving to Tullahoma the first week of April.
Not necessarily because of the winter, but was certainly a factor.

Last edited:
Dont really know much about clarksville proper or what your base proximity needs to be, but if you go a little south into the Sango or Pleasant View area then you should be abke to find some acerage. Middle TN is a pretty hot market, so be prepared.

As far as the cruiser network, there are several us around in Middle TN and the group is pretty active, just not on MUD. They FB, and may have some other avenues that I'm not aware of. The bulk of folks are mostly south of Nashville, but there are a few folks that pop up up that way on occasion.

Thats a nice 55, I'm trying to get our '69 back in order currently.

Do the kidos live in Clarksville, or elsewhere in the middle TN area. As far as wheeling opportunities, you've got Land between the lakes nearby that is good for Forrest roads and such, Coal Creek about 2.5 hours east, and there are some parks up in KY about the same distance away. @Voodoocruisers is over in Southern IL, which isnt too far away. He is gonna be hosting us at the Shawnee NF this fall for Southern Swine Soirée 2019.

Keep us posted, and stay warm.

Good luck in your search of the Clarksville area, I’d love to have other cruiser folks nearby. Y’all are welcome up here on the Shawnee anytime. It’s less than 2 hours away from there.

The kids are in Murfreesboro, but we don't want to be any closer than an hour. We've found this, through experience, to be an ideal in-law distance.

I've not looked in Middle Tennessee, but the Clarksville area doesn't appear to be a hot real estate market at all. It is significantly less expensive than the relatively inexpensive area in Iowa where we currently live.

We've seen several acreages for under $200k, with recent construction o/a 1500 sq ft houses and large garages on them.

I work 4 months on/4 months off overseas, so it won't be until June when we plan to look with seriousness.

My wife and I worked in Lisle for a couple of years. There are a LOT of reasons to leave that place, imo. And weather is only one, relatively minor reason.

I like Lisle, but being so close to Naperville is a problem.
Hopefully we can find what we are looking for in Tullahoma.

My wife and I worked in Lisle for a couple of years. There are a LOT of reasons to leave that place, imo. And weather is only one, relatively minor reason.
I like Lisle, but being so close to Naperville is a problem.
Hopefully we can find what we are looking for in Tullahoma.

No offense intended ... Your Lisle and Naperville comments are very amusing to me. Lisle and Naperville was the dream destination for some of my wife's family plus some of our friends/classmates from UofI. So to hear that there are real people out there that don't find it to be paradise ... it is an amusing contrast.
Thanks, sorry for sidetracking the discussion on the merits of Clarksville

No offense intended ... Your Lisle and Naperville comments are very amusing to me. Lisle and Naperville was the dream destination for some of my wife's family plus some of our friends/classmates from UofI. So to hear that there are real people out there that don't find it to be paradise ... it is an amusing contrast.
Thanks, sorry for sidetracking the discussion on the merits of Clarksville
Not offense at all. The main reason I'm moving is the one you exposed, however I don't see Lisle as bad as Naperville, but being next to each other, Lisle absorbs a lot of the snob manners of its neighbor.
Anyway, we can continue this chat after april 1st, in person and with a beer on hand.
Sorry to the OP for hijacking.

Last edited:
Not offense at all. The main reason I'm moving is the one you exposed, however I don't see Lisle as bad as Naperville, but being next to each other, Lisle absorbs a lot of the snob manners of its neighbor.
Anyway, we can continue this chat after april 1st, in person and with a beer on hand.
Sorry to the OP for hijacking.

No problem. It's just coincidental that we all have a connection to Lisle.

That whole area is just infected with the "social climbers' sickness" now, imo. I'm a country mouse, and my wife and I just didn't share the values of the people in that area.

Thus the whole idea of moving to a place like Clarksville. I want to be near urban areas, but not in them. Iowa is definitely not urban, but if I have to explain to another person working in a grocery store what "falafel" is, I swear I am going to blow a gasket.

Something like this looks really yummy to me.

The location looks to be semi-rural. And that pole barn has potential, imo.

Something like this looks really yummy to me.

The location looks to be semi-rural. And that pole barn has potential, imo.
If you search south of Murfreesboro you can probably find cheaper, maybe around Lynchburg, and you're close to Jack Daniels distillery (if corn juice is your thing)

If you search south of Murfreesboro you can probably find cheaper, maybe around Lynchburg, and you're close to Jack Daniels distillery (if corn juice is your thing)

I'm looking for a balance between low cost and urban amenities. I dig ethnic food, for instance. Now that Des Moines is finally getting interesting in that category, I'm not willing to move someplace where I have to explain what falafel is to everyone I meet. Don't know how that reflects on Middle Tennessee, but that is a consideration.

Nashville is driving the train around here and has a pretty good representation. Low cost is going to be rural (30-45 minutes out of town) and not Davidson, Williamson or Wilson Counties. Robertson, Cheatham and Dickson Counties are probably going to be the lower cost, but will also have fewer amenities, but are not too far from larger population centers with better choices.

Just a FYI in house hunting process. Didn't know if you knew about this.

Requirements to Pass the Tennessee Smog Check
Gas and diesel vehicles weighing less than 10,500 lbs and made in 1975 or newer, must get a Tennessee smog check if the vehicle owner registered the vehicle in one of the following counties:
Also, the following vehicles are NOT exempt from passing a Tennessee smog check:
  • Salvaged vehicles
  • Homemade vehicles
  • Hybrid vehicles
  • Rebuilt vehicles
Smog Check Exemptions for Tennessee Drivers
The State of Tennessee exempts the following vehicles from state smog check requirements:
  • Motorcycles
  • Brand new motor vehicles getting their first registration
  • Vehicles weighing more 10,500 lbs
  • *Electric vehicles weighing less than 8500 lbs (this does not include hybrids)
  • Vehicles that are temporarily out of state
  • Vehicles with antique registrations
  • Gasoline vehicles weighing less than 8500 lbs made before the 1975 model year
Vehicle owners who are out of state or out of the testing area during the time period for which they must get their vehicle tested for a registration renewal can apply for an exemption. To do so, Fill out and mail aTennessee Application for Vehicle Exemption (Form CN-1026) to the address on the form. For more information call (615) 532-8378 or toll-free 1-866-329-9632 to find out about waiver application requirements. Vehicle owners out of state when their smog check is due must get their vehicle checks once they return to Tennessee.

Yeah, that is good info for someone looking to move here. Good call Rocky.

Yeah, Sumner is the only county North of the metro still requiring emissions. Even Davidson has quit and they are the reason the rest started in the first place. In the coming years, the remaining counties plan to phase it out, but for now, me and my junk have to have that little sticker....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom