Thinking about a GX need suspension advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay thinking about getting a GX470, but don't really know what to do with the suspension.
I want to get rid of the rear airbags and the adjustable shocks, but i don't want more than a 1" lift.

I was thinking 5100s and some 4runner springs in the rear, just keep it simple. But some people say this setup is to soft due to the GX weighing a bit more than a 4Runner.

Maybe 5100s on some stiffer springs?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks

You sound like you know what you want. If you need more background info on suspensions with a lift, try reading this post: GX470 Primer for the Ideal Mild-Build for Under $3000

Most used Gx470 have a front suspension that’s already sagging anywhere from 1” to 2”, so any new front coils will lift you back to original height or higher. So, it will feel like you are getting a lift even if you put back new factory oem coils and shocks.

There are several adjustable front coil overs that you can adjust the height so you are lifted under 1” from original height (not from current sagging height).

On the rear, I recommend variable rate coils but not sure if there’s one that doesn’t give you a lift. I wouldn’t put 4Runner rear coils. I’d go with rear coils from Dobinson or OME or any other vendor that sells for gx470.

In summary, refreshing the front will feel like you are getting a lift due to currently sagging front suspension. You can get stock height rear coils and a conversion kit for gx470 from various vendors.

For the rear I ended up using 5th gen 4Runner springs with SSO kit and both washers installed, sits about inch higher than it did in the neutral position and ride quality has been great so far. Still running oem adjustable shocks. Haven’t been off-road yet but around town with full tank and 4 passengers it works fine. In he front I installed a .75 top hat spacer to level it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom