Things that go clunk in the night (and day)... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 99' is making a strange clunk sound when you come to a stop, you know when the rear comes up when stoping and then when the stop is complete the rear levels and makes a few clucking sounds as it comes down. Then when you take off it will clunk a little it sounds like drivetrain play... Anyone? Shocks loose? U joints? bearings?

Thanks!

maybe e9999 could get this listed under symptoms in the FAQ. Something like...

"Clunks" explained and fixed here

seems like we get this question about once a week.

speaking of things that go clunk in the day/night, when i put my cruiser in gear (P -> D, or D<->R) it makes this gawdaweful THUMP. Any ideas?

Get under twist your axle. If there is any play, U joint failure more than likely.

OK.... mine has the typical clunk ut what is weird is that every once in awhile it really seems like it slips. You step on the gas and it sits for maybe a full second and then slams into gear jerking you forward. Is this typical? It seems like it takes forever for the thing to move from gear to gear. Moving it from reverse back to Drive you must wait for a second until it fully engages. Extremely worrisome...... Is this the Tranny giving problems?:confused:

Gene3x said:
OK.... mine has the typical clunk ut what is weird is that every once in awhile it really seems like it slips. You step on the gas and it sits for maybe a full second and then slams into gear jerking you forward. Is this typical? It seems like it takes forever for the thing to move from gear to gear. Moving it from reverse back to Drive you must wait for a second until it fully engages. Extremely worrisome...... Is this the Tranny giving problems?:confused:

Have you checked the fluid level? When autos are low they can act like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom