The BIG TRIP - What would you take? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FWIW.... I tend to try and stay as OEM Plus as possible.. so small lift if any, 17" tires on 285/70, stuff like that..
or use vendors you can get worldwide (like ARB) easily and get warranty work or spares easily.
the 5.7 200 was sold in a bunch of countries or at least the parts are order able via the dealer networks.
ARB has vendors all over the world.

But depending on where in the world I might just buy local or just take the 200 with what you have and maybe a bull bar already on it.
or do both :)

Leaded gas will eventually kill the cat's but honestly the 4 O2 sensors are reading Air/Fuel mix as its main job, I bet a cat delete would have minimal impact on the truck, leaded gas won't really hurt a port injected engine... basically its just provides more lubrication..
DFI is a different story..

My only other advise is to do all your preventative maintenance well in advance of your ship date. That way you can test the new parts and make sure you do not have any issues with the new parts or work before you leave.

I never like doing major work (brakes, radiator, spark plugs, suspension, etc) right before a trip. I like to get a few hundred miles on the new systems before I leave for a big trip.

One thing that I have heard and have no personal experience, the overseas shipping companies are not always reliable and aftermarket components that are easy to remove may get stolen during transit. I have read where Dakar rally teams will have things stolen off the rigs during overseas transit (tools, computers, etc).

Have fun!

Unless your shipping is being paid for by your employer, i would strongly advise skipping shipping a vehicle the size of a Land Cruiser. The last time I checked (prior to covid) it cost $3k USD to ship a vehicle in a container to Europe or RSA. Roll on Roll Off was cheaper but not much. Buddy just shipped a vehicle from Australia and it cost him $20kUSD. Prices are through the roof for a variety of reasons but I doubt they will change much soon.

That being said, even used Land Cruiser prices, whether 78, 79, or 200, are through the roof globally. Maybe go with a long term mini lease on a hire 4x4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom