the 4WD light would not come on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geckoadventure.net
Did a trip 3 days in the jungle (30 Sep to 2 October) no 4WD no matter what we did the air lines leaked and leaked. So I did the whole tough trip in 2WD and used the GOD winch to pull me outta trouble effortlessless. The customers did not even know I was in 2WD till day 2 when we went for an explore drive when I gave some of them a drive.

I knew when I got back I had to fix this. The H4 button had been replaced with AIR activated 4XD switch when they went from 24v to 12V and they could not find a 12V switch :(

So 1.30pm I started to replace the air lines

First I replaced the GOD winch air lines and suddenly I had the air activated FREESPOOL working again.

Now for the 4WD switch
grabbed 3 lines into the 4x4 switch and they snapped in my hands CRAP. Cut the 3 new lines and layed them into the same route as the old ones. Joined them all up eventually

Damn still will not work me and the rawang doctor had a looksee all wired up correctly. Diagnosis no AIR going down the 4WD engage line. By now its DARK and I have spent 4+ hours on this.

Remove the vaccum lines from the transfer case and blow air through - ones blocked and full of oil. A cable and wire stuck down it only pulls out dirt and oil straighten them out for the wire to go down easier still no luck. Finally a big blast of air in reverse smacks out a BLAST of DIRT and OIL.

Where did the dirt come from then I remember the AIR compressor installed under my seat with no filter having dirt in in one day and refusing to work looks like the DIRT went down the 4WD hose also.

Reconnected and 7.30pm test in the dark - WOW suddenly I have 4WD light again and the GOD winch Air freespool is working and I have successfully replaced every air hose in my truck with new NYLON hose no longer using 4MM PU hose the sun and heat kills it.

8pm time to head home all fixed. Get home wife's gone out so dinner by myself with the 6 week old sqwuarking kitten and I missed the ALLBLACKS vs AUSTRALIA rugby test - sigh.

Best part of this is I fully understand how the air system works and fixed several poorly layed air lines to make the route shorter and safer.

Anyone know the part number for a 12v H4 botton please. I gotta get rid of this air

20131019_185352_RED.jpg

20131019_185401_RED.jpg

PS the air pressuure is also not regulated and the switch works at 20psi and the the compressor pumps the tank to 100psi so I need to regulate the air pressure to the 4WD lines asap.

Last edited:
There is a mod to get rid of the vacuum actuator in your photo and use a lever.. No need for any switches etc etc. Just like the good old 40....

There is a mod to get rid of the vacuum actuator in your photo and use a lever.. No need for any switches etc etc. Just like the good old 40....

Got any info on this mod it would be most welcome then one less item using air or vaccum :) both of which can and do fail.

Now I haven't done it personally but a good friend has done it on his 60 series split transfer case. (same as our 70) So I will bug him and get some info. However the early split transfer cases were manually operated. I have seen on here some one who changed it over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom