Texas Hill Country Trails Solo - recovery plan (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone going to be in the Fredericksburg/Mason area this Independence weekend? I'm going out solo with my fam (4 total) in an old '69 JF40 and I'm trying to think of a contingency plan if I break down on the trail and need to get to the main road for a tow. It's not a likelihood but having a friend in the area always helps.

I might be out there on Saturday if all my maintenance stuff can get done tomorrow. If so, would be happy to tag along.

That would be fun. We'll be cruising along in my profile pic ride. We figure it would be a great way to get out while practicing social distancing as Texas goes off the chart on COVID-19. I'll DM my contact info.

our route is the pasted/ texas hill country approx 150 miles

It was like one of those movies where things go from bad to worse. To add severe pride shattering insult to injury, I forgot to latch the hood clamps and you can imagine what that looks like on the highway When the hood flies up but everyone is all right. I still need to check out why the engine was acting up. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Is anyone going to be in the Fredericksburg/Mason area this Independence weekend? I'm going out solo with my fam (4 total) in an old '69 JF40 and I'm trying to think of a contingency plan if I break down on the trail and need to get to the main road for a tow. It's not a likelihood but having a friend in the area always helps.

You might have had better luck with an FJ40. Those JF40s are not reliable...

ok that s*** is funny! would love to hear the story start to finish with pics. totally get the pride thing, that hurts worse than the car breaking down.

Yes, we’ll we should have ceased the trip and turned back around once we had the hood incident but kept insisting we could keep ride it out, broken windshield and all. Then the sunshade flipped off with the damaged windshield so we had no cover and it was as you know hot this past weekend, but we kept going. Once the engine gave, we had no choice but to ring a tow truck, busted on the side of the road with no shade and a busted windshield. It was good the engine said no more because sometimes we just don’t know when to quit. Well, most sensible people would by that point. We had a good drink, many laughs, and a toast to the little blue truck (FJ40) the very next night.

Yes, we’ll we should have ceased the trip and turned back around once we had the hood incident but kept insisting we could keep ride it out, broken windshield and all. Then the sunshade flipped off with the damaged windshield so we had no cover and it was as you know hot this past weekend, but we kept going. Once the engine gave, we had no choice but to ring a tow truck, busted on the side of the road with no shade and a busted windshield. It was good the engine said no more because sometimes we just don’t know when to quit. Well, most sensible people would by that point. We had a good drink, many laughs, and a toast to the little blue truck (FJ40) the very next night.
That’s a tough trip for sure. I was going to try to join but life happened and got pulled in another direction. Hope all comes back together ok.

I plan on running this route tomorrow, solo with my wife. Any cautions / suggestions? Thanks!

I'm thinking about staying in Marble Falls tonight, and running counterclockwise. Up here we've had a lot of rain the last week. Any concerns about the water crossings?

I'm thinking about staying in Marble Falls tonight, and running counterclockwise. Up here we've had a lot of rain the last week. Any concerns about the water crossings?
I haven’t been out that way in a few weeks but the water crossings aren’t that deep unless you go “off path” a fair bit.
Looks deeper than it really is with a bow wave in the photo (good thing I had the snorkel 😉)

9E260F69-C701-4769-924F-DE7C3E21B1B0.jpeg

E6894DE0-8738-4777-BD8F-2D162F9246A8.jpeg

785579E3-FFD9-425F-B469-D6AB41B7A985.jpeg

I'm thinking about staying in Marble Falls tonight

Bluebonnet Cafe for pie

Well, I didn't book the hotel soon enough, so we're staying in Fredricksburg tonight. I guess I'll be running it clockwise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom