Temperature gauge for 78 BJ40 with B series 3.0 diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Hope everyone is having a good holiday season. I searched tried searching the forum for this information and either am not very good at searching or it is not easily found. I have a B series 3.0 diesel in my 24 volt BJ40. The temperature gauge has never been between the two slashes that I believe are to be normal operating temperature. I am thinking of changing the gauge or trying to fix it so I know if its running in normal temp ranges. My questions are; what types of temp gauges are able to be used on the 24 volt systems? I know from reading other posts that the temp and fuel gauge originally are 12 volt, but does that mean that any 12 volt gauge and sending unit can be used? Also, what is normal operating temp for a b series 3.0 engine? 190-220? Finally, anyone have suggestions on what gauges to use? I saw a few posts of an amazing rebuild gauge cluster that used autometer mini 2" gauges and fit them into the same cluster, but if I read correctly the person that was making those kits no longer does that. Thanks for any and all your help to a new landcruiser lover.

I also have a 3B in my 78 BJ40, and have disconnected the 24v gauge from the cluster because it wasn't working ... I did connect an analog direct connect with it's own gauge - and I seem to be running around 180. The engine temp really depends on the thermostat, my thermostat is rated to open at 180 so every thing is in order. Good luck !

Hey,

I have a '78 BJ40 with the B motor and the guage is on about 1/4 and will raise slightly under load.

Flush your coolant system every year it will help a bit also.

ToyotaDyna

------

Looking for a Diesel LHD Land Cruiser?

Instagram: Canarian Land Cruiser Exports

Facebook: Canarian Land Cruiser Exports

Hello ToyotaDyna,

Thanks for the response. So this is exactly what mine does. It raises up to about 1/4, so not even close to the two marks between the C and the H and under load will raise a little but not much. So based off what your saying, this is normal and it doesnt need to get up between the two marks on the gauge. Thanks for the help everyone.

1669948573808.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom