TBI value?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by theo, Feb 11, 2003.

1. theo

theo

I can get a 350 TBI from a 93 Caprice for $300 from my pal the wrecker. What do you think?

He'll give me everything I need including ECU, sensors, wiring harness, etc. I can get him to throw in connectors and such. The engine is high miles - almost 200K. I want you guys to tell me if you think it's a burn. TIA :)

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Good deal. Check out e-bay for prices on TBI set ups. The engine could need a lot of work, but the TBI stuff is worth it.

3. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd say you got a decent deal....now get that baby dropped in!!

4. theo

theo

Well OK then. I'll go for it. I won't get around to installing it though until next winter. I went through a lot to get my carbureted 350 to run. I need to use it this summer! Shoot, I don't even have tires and wheels yet. Or decent seats. I'm still collecting the bits to install a second battery. And the parts to plumb the York are waiting in a box on the bench. I don't even have a tool box or spares in the back. And the carport I started LAST SUMMER needs finished. And my family wants to go to . . .:D

5. FJ40Dude75

FJ40Dude75

wlecome to the club :D

6. OlympiaFJ60

OlympiaFJ60

I'm not a 350 guy, but since you already have one in the Cruiser, couldn't you just swap intake manifold, distributor and wiring? I suppose it has to do with the age of your current engine though.

Just an idea,

Brandon
    Olympia, WA

7. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Depends on the mods he wants to do. The intake has a couple of angled bolts on the TBI that are straight on the earlier heads. There is an adapter that GM used on the late big trucks that adapts a spread bore to a TBI.
    All in all the big part of the swap, bigger than the engine swap, is the wiring even with the full harness.

8. theo

theo

Dude - Thanks. I guess you know where I'm coming from.:D

Olympia - I'm not qualified yet to answer that question. (I will be someday.) I know the ECM would probably need programming to control the different fuel/air requirements of my '69 350 versus the '93 L05. Programming requires a way to read the signal codes and a way to write new "code". Also, it's trial and error unless someone has already developed the code for my specific setup. The intake manifold would need some bolt holes reamed. I would need to fabricate mounts for several sensors including O2, speed, water temp, maybe others.

I'm thinking there are fewer "mods" by installing a complete engine. Also, my '69 will need rebuilding some day. Why not rebuild the TBI 350 while I drive the Cruiser? That's the plan anyway. Hope it works!

BTW, I was born and raised in Tacoma. Traveled by water as much as possible. Didn't see much of Olympia though, except an excursion into the mouth of the Nisqually. A hell of a lot of paddling is all we got out of that one!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.