Tarps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

" I knew a guy " where I worked, was selling them for $20 a piece. I bought five of them. Somebody is selling them on Craig's List for $40, out of St. Louis. It's all you can handle to pick one up, very heavyduty.

There's got to be a boat load of them in every big city, because they don't reuse them. I buy brass grommet kits at the farm store and once you do a couple, it goes pretty fast.

Edit...http://stlouis.craigslist.org/grd/5032228252.html

Last edited:
how thick are these billboard tarps?

We used one a few years ago and it was difficult to manhandle especially since temps were in mid 30's. I reckon it was around 40mil. It worked reasonably well to create sides for our club's 10x20 EZ-Up awning.
CFW2014 (4).JPG

good source for heavy duty tarps made in my hometown. http://www.mytarp.com/ They'll do custom sizes and "machine covers" too (think tarp with sides, useful on military trailers).

40 mil is a lot. that's like 10x a normal tarp I think.

I keep a small 8x6 tarp, along with some legs, under the rear bench seat of my cruiser. Been handy many times for shade or rain protection. And sometimes I take the bigger 16x18 tarp.
small tarp.jpg
big tarp.jpg

Back in the day we used a "dining fly." Usually a 10' x 10' or 12' x 12' tarp with 4 corner poles and a height-adjustable center pole with two guy-ropes per corner. Now I use a heavy brown-on-one side-silver-on-the-other 12' x 14' with the poles from that old green 12x12 that finally rotted away.

I put the silver side up if it's hot out, the brown side if it's cold. I use a tautline hitch on the guy ropes rather than those metal adjustment thingies and I put the hitch end up so I don't have to get on my knees to adjust it.

I don't like to attach my fly to the truck because I don't like to take the fly down when I want to go somewhere. I put the camp kitchen at one end and back the 'Cruiser into the other. Since I sleep in the 'Cruiser I can climb out the back and stay dry if it's raining. I have four 12' x 7' (I think) side panels off an old EZ-up that work well for wind breaks and horizontal rain. I put the campfire on the downwind side of the fly. (Often I take a propane campfire which is legal if fire restrictions are in place and 'cause carrying a propane tank is easier that carrying/cutting firewood.)

I don't like poly tarps for covering things on the roof rack (no roof rack on the 60 yet but had one on the 55) as I shredded several before I found a GI surplus treated cotton canvas tarp that lasted many years.

I've considered painting the license plate number on both the dining fly and the roof rack tarp just in case I'm in the way-back and someone in an aircraft is looking for me. When I get around to building the roof rack (which will be solid and not mesh or whatever) I'm going to paint the license number on that so if it's stolen it will be easily found, also for the reason above.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom