Target carrier

here's something else to consider
That would be a cool project truck but the Mack B model is the FJ40 of the older Mack’s. Way too easy to find parts for and popular for me to consider.

So I was digging around my pile of junk looking for something to make a top from and just for poops and giggles I ran a file on my second chunk of ground plate and it was dead soft. They where use together on a press I bought and I can’t for the life of me think why the one is so hard and this one isn’t, anyway I got it drilled and tack welded in place. Hopefully I can get it welded up and make the aluminum top and move on to some Land Cruiser maintenance.

IMG_20200325_190327249.jpg

boots4

I was worried about how you were going to move that beast around but then I saw some forks in the background so with having a forklift heavy objects aren't an issue. It does look pretty nice and that vice looks like it has gotten some work hardening love with it's battle scars.

I was worried about how you were going to move that beast around
Ha yeah just dealing with the 230’ish lb. top plate was a treat. When I built my other post vise/striking plate combo I thought I made it heavy enough (about 350#) and if you put something in the vise that needs bending and pull too hard it does move around the shop a little too much. I use it often enough just the way it is that made it hard to justify cutting it apart to make something more stable for heavier work, I also find myself clamping parts to the striking plate for welding and it’s super convenient but a little small and low to be ideal.

This was one of those would be nice to have but low priority projects that got bumped up due to our social distancing requirements putting a burden on the revenue stream that funds my other projects.

Can’t wait to use it someday

You’re always welcome, if nothing else it will make a sturdy table to set our beers on when sitting around the shop shooting the bull.

bryson

I do stuff.
SILVER Star

What's the skinny on the vice? It's interesting with the pivot(?) and such... I don't think I've ever seen one like that.

What's the skinny on the vice? It's interesting with the pivot(?) and such... I don't think I've ever seen one like that.
This link will explain it better than I can, basically when a big hammer is your go to problem solver a post vise is invaluable.

Scraps mounted his correctly on a solid post cemented in the ground and I considered that but was afraid of commitment so this is the next best option with a stupid heavy stand.

Scrapdaddy for the win, I believe if you get a long enough bar in that vise you could rotate the earth. Like I said I started second guessing myself on permanent locations and chickened out on cementing it in.

I was looking at this cool stand @gofast built and decided to take the safe road and build mine semi-portable. I would still like to add some sort of hammer hanger like he has before I paint it.

So for now this will have to do. I made the top from a hunk of ½” 7075 and bolted it to the 1 1/2" steel, I’m able to get it dead level and its sturdy enough that I should be able to clamp parts then level or square off the top to help keep them aligned.

IMG_20200326_143633.jpg

More shelter in place bumblefuckery in the shop today.

My BMS finally got here from China, it had been held up due to the virus outbreak and took an extra 30 days to get here. Started mounting everything in the case then decided I didn’t like the power plugs I ordered so I’m going to have to wait for the Anderson Powerpole connectors to get here before I can finish. Hoping to fabbercobble something together tomorrow so I can start testing.

IMG_20200403_113942733.jpg

Got side tracked and made some push buttons out of some .50 CAL cases for a friend of mines old willys jeep station wagon thing.
IMG_20200403_171755133.jpg

If your so inclined...I’d like to see what your shackles turned out like, I’m not committed to going that route but have been through your thread and never found them mounted...

What’s the .50 push button for, I don’t recognize the surround?

If your so inclined...I’d like to see what your shackles turned out like, I’m not committed to going that route but have been through your thread and never found them mounted...

What’s the .50 push button for, I don’t recognize the surround?
Better picture.
IMG_20200403_184725937.jpg

My phone $hit the bed and I lost all my photos of his but it looks like this.

Top Bottom