Talladega NF questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
Can anyone help out @ntsaint?

Considering a trip to Talladega National Forest, and he said you know the area well?

Was wondering if you could help me on things to see, roads to travel, and most importantly places to camp. Planning on 2 nights there.

Tentative plan is to start at Sylacauga and work north. We'd be getting a late start into the forest, so only about 2 hours of daylight available to find camp once we leave town the first night. But that's based solely on me looking at google maps.

We don't mind visiting state park areas or public campgrounds, but would rather camp off the beaten path if possible. I see nothing out there (previously used camp areas) using my normal google earth stalking techniques.

Also, I have it noted to hit High Falls, Cheaha Falls, Cheaha Mountain, etc, but no idea if those are worth it. Also have been told 600-1 and 600-2 are worthwhile offroad rides.

ANY thoughts or recommendations you have would be MUCH appreciated.

Best Trails in Talladega National Forest | AllTrails.com

The TNF is in two sections. The Western section is in the Black belt and anyone is more than welcome to stay at our plantation house outside of Marion in Perry county if traveling through. He want the Eastern part near Sylacauga.

There are some pretty good writeups here with videos:
Find Your Next Offroad Trail | Trails Offroad

the Alabama Overland FB page is quickly becoming a good source of info:

Alabama has a fantastic state parks system:
Story Map Tour

Cheaha:
Cheaha State Park | Alapark

google maps to 600-1
Google Maps

Camping on these Alabama islands is the ultimate summer getaway -- and it's free

https://s3.amazonaws.com/alabama-travel/pdfs/OutdoorBrochure.pdf

Order Your Free Alabama Vacation Guide - Alabama.Travel

Last edited:
There are lots of primitive camping spots on 600-1 but they won't be on the map. A little bit north of Sherman Cliffs is what I would shoot for. 2 hours "should" be enough time to get to some of the better ones.

IMG_0081.JPG

I don't have a lot of input but would love to participate in this assuming I'm not attending a kids sporting event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom