Talk me into spending the extra $30 grand for the LC 200 please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I want to buy a keeper. I want to own it for 250k miles and for the next 10 years. But man, I am now having a hard time justifying the price. To be clear I could pull it off but am now thinking going all in or just getting another mid-size normal SUV like the MDX, Pilot, etc for $45k

I have run the numbers and it boils down to about $600 more per month for an LC than an MDX or similar. That’s the rub really, do I want to pay the extra $600 and own an LC or not.

I disagree with the fun factor comment that @mcgaskins mentioned. Our most fun and nimble car is an e30m3. The 200 series on non stock suspension is fun to drive but is not nimble by any means. Actually this is a good point to relay. We have six cars and four bikes - since we got the 200 almost a year ago I have picked it's key in the line up nine out of 10 times. It's a great truck and I pick it because it's fun and up for whatever.

I think you are shopping the wrong alternative to the X5 in the 200 however and it's probably not the right choice. The recent 'landcruiser should die' thread and review are targeted at your dilemma in my opinion.

article: It Might Be Time for the Toyota Land Cruiser to Go

If you are coming from an X5 diesel, a very specific choice in an SUV (we have three diesels out of six and they are definitely a choice), and shopping MDXs and Pilots I think you want a normal SUV but perhaps something a little different. You should probably keep looking and driving. If you come back and drive a 200 afterwards and it feels the most right, then yep, pay.

I suspect the 200 will have too many compromises for your smiles:miles.

I was in a somewhat similar bind, several weeks ago - before I bought the '16 LC.

I literally started with the idea of getting a Jeep Wrangler (as a commuter car/ daily driver). I wanted an SUV with some pedigree, but nothing too flashy or expensive. I then started thinking about a 4Runner - the TRD PRO. Also briefly considered a Tahoe and GMC Yukon. Have owned Mercs and BMWs in the past (and loved them) but didn't want anything too flashy as a daily driver - nothing "obviously expensive". I've admired the LC for a while - its heritage is hard to beat, the truck's built-to-last, and it carries an unassuming nameplate. The purchase made no financial sense, however. I could've bought 2 Wrangler Rubicons or 4Runners for the price, but once my mind was made up.... that was it. Love driving it. Handles like a truck not a car, and that's also what I wanted. It's also unassuming and understated - you don't get any double takes in traffic (those are reserved for the Germans and Brits). Love it - as I know it's special. But in a sea of Mercs, BMWs, Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos, this truck is close-to-invisible. No small feat for an $80K vehicle with the heritage and capability of the Land Cruiser. It's one-of-a-kind in the that regard.

Btw - I did stop by a Lexus and a Range Rover dealer - to check out the competition before I bought it. I was especially curious how the LX compares (the RR was a bit too flashy). The sales people there couldn't understand why I'd consider a Toyota. To quote the Lexus Sales Manager: most people buy a car or truck for the opposite reason you're buying - to show off. There's no showing off in a Land Cruiser - unless you count the 0.1% of the population that know what you likely paid for it.

Bottom line, though, is that there's no practical or pragmatic reason for buying a new Land Cruiser. It's an unnecessary vehicle for 99%+ of buyers, me included. You buy one because you WANT one. And of course, your reasons may differ from mine!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the thoughts and comments everyone. I am going to do some soul searching and will let you guys know what I decide. I love this forum. Such great information and passion. Thanks again.

Dump the X5 before it starts developing issues. The BMW's are ticking time bombs.

Have you considered the Lexus GX? It'll probably do everything you need.

The GX is actually pretty darn small inside. With the 2nd and 3rd row folded down, it is noticeably smaller than a 4Runner. The 4Runner has 80 cu ft behind the front row. The GX only has 60 cu ft. The Landcruiser has 80 cu ft behind the front row. Those third row seats take a lot of room.

Also, the GX is not well equipped unless you get the Premium Package. At that point, you are up near $60k. I was close to buying a new GX, but instead bought a used, 2013 Landcruiser with less than 30k miles. I'm glad I did, as I think it is a much better vehicle than the GX.

4runners easily last 10 years and 250k without much maintenance.

Mine actually required a fair bit of maintenance. The 4th gen 4Runner had a serious problem with brake calipers freezing. I replaced all four calipers at least 3 times. I think the 5th gen is better in this respect.

I also had to replace the heater fan twice. I had to replace 3 wheel bearings, fix torn CV boots several times, and replace the sway-bar body mount bushings a couple times. And then I had all sorts of problems with rust, which required replacing the following parts:

- transmission cooler hard lines
- steering hard lines
- intermediate steering shaft
- driver's side running board supports
- frame

In addition, the metal surround the moonroof glass was rusted. If I had kept the 4Runner, this would have required replacing the moonroof.

My 4Runner lasted 160k miles and about 13 years. It was generally a solid truck, but it was not as trouble free as I would have liked. I didn't buy a 2016 4Runner because I just don't like the current drivetrain. The V6 doesn't have enough low-end torque for my taste, and it is rough and noisy when pushed. The transmission needs at least one more gear.

I expect Toyota to bring out a revised 4Runner soon. The 5th gen came out in 2010, so it is due for replacement.

My fourth gen is at 110K and I too have replaced a ridiculous number of brake calipers, but that's been it beyond routine maintenance. Still love driving it when I do and don't know if I could part with it despite most of my time in the LC. The fifth gens are fugly and from what I can tell not much of an improvement over the fourth gens. I would consider one, but I am eager to see what the next gen is like though.

At a recent auto show I attempted to get my bride interested in a new 4R and/or LC. She finally confided that she secretly likes my modded fourth gen and that she wouldn't consider a new 4R because of the front end, wouldn't consider the LC because of the rear screens, and wouldn't consider an LX, GX, RX or NX because of what Lexus has done to them. As I write this, I'm thinking maybe I should try talking her into a leftover '15 LC....

My fourth gen is at 110K and I too have replaced a ridiculous number of brake calipers, but that's been it beyond routine maintenance. Still love driving it when I do and don't know if I could part with it despite most of my time in the LC. The fifth gens are fugly and from what I can tell not much of an improvement over the fourth gens. I would consider one, but I am eager to see what the next gen is like though.

At a recent auto show I attempted to get my bride interested in a new 4R and/or LC. She finally confided that she secretly likes my modded fourth gen and that she wouldn't consider a new 4R because of the front end, wouldn't consider the LC because of the rear screens, and wouldn't consider an LX, GX, RX or NX because of what Lexus has done to them. As I write this, I'm thinking maybe I should try talking her into a leftover '15 LC....

The 5th gen 4Runner has significantly improved gauges from my old 4th gen - you can actually see them during the day. It also has a lot more room inside. The seating position seemed to be more upright and more comfortable for me. I'm not a big fan of the styling however. The drivetrain, however, is what killed it for me.

Sent from my iPad

I'm considering buying a new 2016 Sequoia. Any feedback on the vehicle is appreciated. Also, any advice on invoice pricing or dealers is appreciated. I live in New Orleans and will fly from Houston to Atlanta to buy a reasonable markup over invoice (1~3%). Thanks!

I'm considering buying a new 2016 Sequoia. Any feedback on the vehicle is appreciated. Also, any advice on invoice pricing or dealers is appreciated. I live in New Orleans and will fly from Houston to Atlanta to buy a reasonable markup over invoice (1~3%). Thanks!

1. Wrong forum.
2. Never pay over invoice, unless it is a rare / very limited production vehicle.
3. Truecar is your friend.

Why buy a new Sequoia when you could buy a lightly used Land Cruiser that will blow it away in nearly every aspect but over-all cavernous-ness...? Spend what you would for a new Seq on the LC and you'll never look back. Worlds apart...between the Seq and LC.

I am getting my 2017 LC next week. It is at the port but hasn't been trucked to the dealer yet. The dealer gave me the price today of $78,972.26. plus sales tax, license and $150 doc fee. The only options are 400 for white pearl paint and approx 200 for the all weather mat set. They tell me that is invoice.
Sounds like your price is essentially the same.
Btw- I am trading in our 2012 x5 gas on it as I can't keep it out of the shop.

While not as nice as the Land Cruiser inside, the Sequoia is still a very nice and heavy duty machine. The rear suspension is excellent. If you need the extra room, and slightly better towing ability, it's a good choice. There is a forum at Tundrasolutions.com ... Or feel free to PM me with more questions.

I bought a 2010 Amazon Green LC with 75K miles for $36K. It is as close to new as you can get. They are out there.

What @TexasHusker said.
I bought my 08 two years ago with only 48,000 on it! It was literally perfect.
Saved a ton of cash (more accurately...I was ABLE to buy a 200 ;)

I can't think of a better vehicle to buy used than a Land Cruiser. So many of them have never been offload, and if you shop in the south or southwest...no rust!

Thank you so much for the thoughts and comments everyone. I am going to do some soul searching and will let you guys know what I decide. I love this forum. Such great information and passion. Thanks again.

Dump the X5 before it starts developing issues. The BMW's are ticking time bombs.

We just went from both a 2010 Mercedes GL550, as well as a 2011 BMW X5M, to the 2013 Land Cruiser. I'm extremely pleased with our decision.

We didn't have major failures in either the Mercedes (over 30k miles, from 60k to 90k) or in the BMW (only 11k or so, from 52k to 63k) - and to be fair to both cars, they were good to drive and especially in the case of the X5M, a rocketship.

With that said, I was terrified of every BMW forum's feedback largely grounded in "I wouldn't own this car out of warranty", so when I bought the X5M I also researched and purchased an aftermarket warranty that I never had to use. However, consider that the car depreciated $5-7k in the year I owned it, and had it experienced a failure I still would have had significant out of pocket expenses. The injectors are a known issue on the S63 motor ($2500-$5000 repair) and they had just been replaced by the previous owner before I bought it. But also consider that before I took delivery of the car, the dealership had to spend almost $2000 just to get the sunroof to open. Little failures that become big expenses.

Living in fear of the BMW breaking either at inopportune moments, or in expensive and ugly ways, was what convinced me to move on. There are very few SUVs as fast as the one we had, but I know that years down the road the LC will still be serving us well whereas the X5M was going to be high maintenance.

The GL550 was also a good car; I bought it CPO, we had it 2 years, and its only real warranty necessity was replacing an air shock. It also depreciated like a rock however and there were a number of things about it that made me feel as though it was capable of experiencing issues once it traveled beyond 100k.

In short, very happy with our '13 LC, and am glad the other two cars have moved on down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom