Tahoetacoma's m416 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought an m416 that I am building into an expedition trailer to tow behind my tacoma
picture.php

The trailer when i bought it
IMG_0713.jpg

Tore the tub off to find a bent frame
DSC00335.jpg

DSC00334.jpg

Ground the frame down to bare metal
DSC00342.jpg

Straightened it, added braces in the corners, and 6 2 ton pad eyes (recovery points)
DSC00344.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

Bought a max coupler
DSC00352.jpg

Looking to sell the orignal axle, rims, and tires
DSC00348.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

I have a 3500lb axle with electron brakes on order, new leaf springs coming, and am taking the tub to the sand blaster next week.

Future plans for the trailer
-3500lb axle
-35 inch tires
-spring over axle
-black frame
-color matched tub (silver streak mica)
-lid for the tub
-arb rooftop tent
-water tank
-propane
-solar power
-more s*** that i will think of

Thanks Dell

Ya I was thinking about that after I welded the pad eyes on. I haven't figured out how I can brace them up better. But I'll look into it. Comments like that help a ton, I'm only 20, a pretty good fabricator but definitely don't no or think of everything.

And the braces in the corners are just to retain strength after I straightened the frame. They don't have anything to so with the recovery points.

That was one of the M416 from Surplus City in Oroville. I've been eyeballing them for some time, but alas no $$. Looking forward to your build.:cheers:

That was one of the M416 from Surplus City in Oroville. I've been eyeballing them for some time, but alas no $$. Looking forward to your build.:cheers:

Be prepared to pay twice the price they quote you on the phone, have a minuscule fraction of the selection, and see "mint" condition trailers with holes rusted through on every surface!

That place single-handedly talked me into building from scratch.... for that I'm actually thankful.

Billy

will be cool to watch your build...

I do have to criticize your d-rings...

welded solely to the c-channel's surface...
just don't seem all that safe or well thought out.

and the corner brace don't really look to help matters much.

But hey... I'm just a spectator ;).

Meh, I wouldn't worry about it. Those tow points will right a trailer no problem Its not like your gonna winch it sideways up a hill... just flop it back to it wheels.

Those corner braces will stiffen up the frame a little and every little bit counts. Most of the "structure" will come from the box you bolt back on.

Good job straightening the frame it looks good to go. Have fun, these little trailers are fun to build.

Pity you're not near Portland. I need an axle.

nice!

:cheers:

Good guess flyfish I do live in norcal. Pm me about the axle and well see if we can work something out

I painted the frame, shock mounts, kickstand, and U-bolt plates, with PPG Amercoat 235 which is a 2 part epoxy primer used to paint ships.

This s*** is bullet proof
DSC00358.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

My new leafs also came in, there ranchos made for a cj3 but it looks like they will work perfect
DSC00356.jpg

I am waiting on my 3500 lb axle with electronic brakes and a 48'' receiver bar.

I have one question how long should I extend the hitch from the tub? I am going to keep the factory triangular design and then extend the 2inch bar so i can use the max coupler. I have a swing out on my truck and want to be able to clear, it looks like the tub would be about 5 feet behind the trailer is that too far?

I made my tongue far enough away to be able to jackknife the trailer and not touch the body. Another distance to consider is when the trailer is entering a ditch and the vehicle is exiting the ditch... the angles there get steep FAST!

5' seems I little long, but if it clears your swing out then that's a nice feature!

I made my (trailer) tongue long enough to open my rear gate and to jackknife the trailer, but I made it shrinkable/extendable so if I ever got into a tight situation or had to go down a wash or gully, I could temporarily shorten it...when compressed it's about 2' long when extended it's about 5' long. 99% of the time, I use it extended since it tracks better and backs up better, but at least I have the option of shortening it if need be.

I made my (trailer) tongue long enough to open my rear gate and to jackknife the trailer, but I made it shrinkable/extendable so if I ever got into a tight situation or had to go down a wash or gully, I could temporarily shorten it...when compressed it's about 2' long when extended it's about 5' long. 99% of the time, I use it extended since it tracks better and backs up better, but at least I have the option of shortening it if need be.

Thats smart.

I made mine removeable and it saves a ton of space in the garage when I can slide the tongue out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom