tac website (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
been working on updating the web site. it might be simpler to start from scratch. what did everyone like / dislike about the current one ?

Ping Reid Anderson, the current webmaster, as he and I have been working on a couple of updates ourselves.

I think the current website has a good feel to it, and think at the present we should focus on content updates and expanding the "under construction" areas, especially the member's rigs section.

My $0.02.

Chris

I like the calendar and member lists - Other than that, the members rigs and under construction area as Chris mentions would be my vote (why reinvent the wheel).
c.v.

Rob.. Don't move all the cheese at once.. But we need to expand on what's there!
YOU da man.. I'm glad your interested, willing and able..
Members rigs area for starters.. My guess would be at events take the pictures
And we need to get our newsletters up (the old ones) From Scott
I'd like to see writeups on our get-togethers like a photoalbum type of thing? Something on each gathering.. I know that's a ton right there!
Upcoming stuff? I guess that' s a whole nother thread.

Chef said:
I humbly suggest that chris, Reid and Rob get together and discuss what they are each thinking;)
Work together!

Hey guys. I guess I'm chiming in on this thread a bit late, but the truth is this is my first time visiting TAC at the Ih8mud forum. Chef is right, we need to discuss what it is we're thinking. Here's my thoughts:

I mentioned to Steve Fox prior to the annual meeting that it would be a good idea for him to feel out the other TAC members there to see if someone is willing to work on fulfilling the potential of the TAC site.

Although the meeting produced some cocollaborators, I gathered from Steve that no one really was chomping at the bit to take over the reigns, so I agreed to update things here and there as needed, but I mentioned that time constraints would prevent me from implementing any new areas of the website, doing any major design overhauls, etc - despite the fact they are, in my opinion, needed. Basically, I said that if someone writes a write up, I'd post it. If someone updates the roster (thanks, Chris), I'd post it.

But here's the truth: I think the website has a ton of untapped potential, and I don't have time to tap it. I really don't even have time to post the roster updates, etc. That's part of the reason I never followed up on contacting you, KC Chevota (I assume you're Robert Ridgeway)? -- I haven't had time to assess in what ways you could help. For that, I apologize.

I understand your sentiment that the site needs some time and work investment - and I agree. But I can't make the investment. Not only am I in nursing school (I'm in class and clinicals 32 hours a week, and I have a tremendous amount of studying on top of that), I still work ~20 hours a week, and for those who don't know me I am also a family man - I'm just flat overextended.

I guess what I'm saying is that at this point, I am unable to do the job well, so I think it's only appropriate that I not do it at all. The plan to just do the minimum that was devised after the meeting failed to produce a new webmaster is not really working for me, nor is it working for the collective "you".

Please let me know to whom I should turn over "the keys", and I will put together a list of passwords, contacts, etc as quickly as I can. I will also be happy to remain available as much as possible for consulting in the event that the new webmaster is more technical with gears than bytes.

Thank you all for allowing me the privledge of representing TAC on the web from our humble beginnings until now.

Reid

Reid - welcome to the site. We fully understand your situation and all of us have been, are, or will be in a similar position down the road.

Rob is more than willing to work on the site - we had been more concerned about stepping on your toes after all the hard work you'd put into the site to date. I had asked Rob to get in touch with you to discuss how we could help you.

My suggestion at this point would be to transfer the site files to Rob along with any access info he needs regarding our host domain. I can be set up to be the contact person for billing. Let me know what you need or you can just send me the info and I'll get it to Rob - whatever is the easiest for you.

Chris

You get what you pay for

"You get what you pay for..."
"Good, fast, cheap-pick any two."

Old truisms, but they still hold fast.

I appreciate Manti's past work, and the potential of KC Cruisers future work...but if you guys want a decent webstie that looks good, is good, and is done sometime in the next decade, there are two things we need:
1) member submitted content
2) outsourcing the design and build.

I speak nothing but the truth as seen from just having done all this on a larger basis. I don't mean to demean anyone's past or future contributions...but really...if y'all want a new website, spend some cash and get it done.

Just my .02

chef

IMHO, the look and feel of the current website are fine (awesome, actually, thanks Reid!). I think we just suffer from a lack of content, of which I'm as guilty as anybody. I don't see the point of starting over, I like the way it is. If we start over, then we have to collectively decide what we want it to look like, etc., and that sounds like a can of worms to me...

Steve

Chef said:
"You get what you pay for..."
"Good, fast, cheap-pick any two."

Old truisms, but they still hold fast.

I appreciate Manti's past work, and the potential of KC Cruisers future work...but if you guys want a decent webstie that looks good, is good, and is done sometime in the next decade, there are two things we need:
1) member submitted content
2) outsourcing the design and build.

I speak nothing but the truth as seen from just having done all this on a larger basis. I don't mean to demean anyone's past or future contributions...but really...if y'all want a new website, spend some cash and get it done.

Just my .02

chef

Ditto what Steve said.

My thoughts on direction would be to 1) correct any problems/broken links/etc., 2) update any pertinent information, like officers, addresses, etc., and 3) identify and prioritize areas of improvement.

I think Reid set up a great foundation to build from. <paradigm on>It works well, why change it?<paradigm off>

trainrech said:
Rob is more than willing to work on the site - we had been more concerned about stepping on your toes after all the hard work you'd put into the site to date. Chris
Thanks for considering my feelings - as is obvious now, though, my toes won't be stepped on at all. As a matter of fact, I think I used those same words in my email to Steve prior to the annual meeting: Something like "If someone has the time and is wanting to develop the website, they won't be stepping on my toes if they do so".

I'll put together a package of files, passwords, etc and send it off as soon as I can.

Thanks
Reid

Probably wont have time till after daylight run, are you still not coming ? after that can jump in with both feet. Like you said start simple, fix and clean. Then work on the bling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom