Swivel Hub rebuild and driveline clunk (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have an fzj80 1995, and I'm rebuilding my swivel hubs. I have a slight driveline clunk and about 1/4 front driveline play. As I turn, I also have a slight grinding/ clicking noise under my feet. I have a full rebuild kit with all bearings, races, etc.

Are there any other items I should replace while I have everything out?

Axles? Cv? Birfield? (I won't know the condition until they are out)

Drive flanges? Spindle?

Please let me know as any advise is greatly appreciated. Im new to my 80 series!

Cheers!

from my experience the only tips id say are be sure to check the brass spindle bushes for wear whilst in there and with the upper & lower shims at the bearing retainers make sure you put them back in the same position so as to not upset the centering of the axle.
its a messy job more than anything but not difficult

Driveline clunk can be just the accumulation of wear on numerous driveline parts including slip joint on tailshaft, uni joints, diff pinion, diff side gears, with CV/Birfields, worn splines on CV shaft and hub flanges.

Hub flanges and CV axle splines on early models were a problem. Yours is a later model with thicker flanges and longer cv shafts, so it's less of a problem but can still be a major contributor to a clunk.

If you replace CVs, replace flanges too. Go for a Japanese made product.
Terrain Tamer or Don Kyatt are able to supply quality aftermarket parts.

from my experience the only tips id say are be sure to check the brass spindle bushes for wear whilst in there and with the upper & lower shims at the bearing retainers make sure you put them back in the same position so as to not upset the centering of the axle.

Make sure to add grease to these on reassembly too

Driveline clunk can be just the accumulation of wear on numerous driveline parts including slip joint on tailshaft, uni joints, diff pinion, diff side gears, with CV/Birfields, worn splines on CV shaft and hub flanges.

Hub flanges and CV axle splines on early models were a problem. Yours is a later model with thicker flanges and longer cv shafts, so it's less of a problem but can still be a major contributor to a clunk.

If you replace CVs, replace flanges too. Go for a Japanese made product.
Terrain Tamer or Don Kyatt are able to supply quality aftermarket parts.

Ok, that's good to hear I hope nothing is to worn out.

I have the terrain tamer heavy-duty rebuild kit ready to go. I will start it this weekend.

Awesome yea Ill make sure to replace those top-bearing cap shims correctly. I did see a video where you don't even have to take that cap off. But I will see.

I have replacement brass bushing I belive that are in my kit.

Cheers!

I got one of those spindle greasing tools as well and theyre good to use before you put the wheel bearing locknut on so the spindle bearing and insides of the spindle itself are coated in moly grease.

1684122440961.png

I ended up getting all new cv and axle assembly and drive flanges, I will be putting them on this weekend.

Took it to a cruiser mechanic here in aus just to get it double checked. He told me that the clunk in an 80 that is as old as mine is actually pretty minimal. I ended up making the decision to replace those items as I will be doing a lap of aus and want no dramas with the car.

Will post pics later!

So I just finished up the front end rebuild ended up replacing the axles and the cvs drive flange, and the spline shafts . The only dramas I had were the Drive flange studs. I snapped ones torquing it and pulled one out as it was free spinning. Nothing a torch wd40 and some vices couldn’t fix. Took me two days the second side was a lot easier as I knew what to do already. Fixed my clunk for now. Just need to get an alignment now!

Cheers for your help guys!

So I just finished up the front end rebuild ended up replacing the axles and the cvs drive flange, and the spline shafts . The only dramas I had were the Drive flange studs. I snapped ones torquing it and pulled one out as it was free spinning. Nothing a torch wd40 and some vices couldn’t fix. Took me two days the second side was a lot easier as I knew what to do already. Fixed my clunk for now. Just need to get an alignment now!

Cheers for your help guys!

New hub studs, cone waters, flat washers, nuts etc are cheap. Worth a few dollars to replace the whole lot for ease of future servicing

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom