Swap my 40 3rd member for $? (Albany NY) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BulletHead

Village Idiot
Threads
The pinion broke on my 40, no traction bar. I do have a replacement 3rd member that can be swapped in. Unfortunately I lack the :banana: skills to do it myself.

I am taking next Wednesday 7/22 off and will be available all day to help do the swap. Let me know if someone can do it Wednesday 7/22 and how much $ you would charge? Please PM me. :steer:

I'm assuming that its the rear?

Its actually really easy. You would be suprised how easy it is. If I had more time I would offer to come up and help.

its a 69, would it have a 4.11 rear end ratio?

Amir, like Leaping Deer said, it's a really easy job. You will need to pull crosspin retainer and remove the c-clips to pull the shafts, but it's accessible by pulling the rear cover.

Jeff,
whats the crosspin retainer? will i need to remove the rear brakes? disc conversion in back.
also, im planning on replacing it with the third i bought off of you, you remember if its a 4.11? what year was it off of?

Last edited:
rear discs will make this even easier.

Pull the cover off the back, and you will see what he is talking about. It has a little bolt that holds it in place, then pull the big pin that runs through the center of the diff. Pull off the calipers off the brackets and hang them out of the way. leave the line connected. then you will probably have to push the axles inward slightly to pull off the c clips. then the axles slide right out.

Unbolt the driveshaft, pull the bolts for the diff, and out it comes.

You will need new gaskets for the diff and cover, or at least some ultra black silicone.

I'm positive that one is 4.11. Divide the number of teeth on the ring gear by the number of teeth on the pinion if you want to be sure.

im just intimidated by taking the axle shafts out. ill try tackling it myself wed morning if i feel confident enough. thanks for the info guys.

It's really one of those jobs that when you finish you'll wonder why you were
such a wuss. Get the wrenches out and have at it! Take pics as you go, use them for reference
when you put it back together or to ask us questions.

i think i went through that feeling when i first changed the spark plugs... :)

what grade oil/grease do i need and is it available at napa/advance auto/autozone?

so ~2.5qt W90 fluid for rear diff, RTV silicone blue/black instant gasket, is all i will need for the swap?

also, will i need an impact wrench to get the bolts off? the rear was re-done by the previous owner about 2-3 years ago.

I use 80 or 90 wt. get a gallon, pour it in until it starts to run out the fill hole.
Permatex for the gaskets and you should be good.
Impact maybe to get the nuts off (they should come off pretty easy)
Put them back on by hand (it sucks to break bolts because the used the impact)
maybe a bit of anti-seize on the studs to make it easier next time you take it apart.

A hammer and punch to tap on the flange so that the third will actually come out helps.

Glad to see you are going to try it yourself. Make sure you let the RTV dry before filling with fluid. If you have any questions post up.

a guy mentions "cone-washers" in my post#3 above. how would i get those out?

Cone washers are a for a different set up. I assume that you don't have a full floater which has these type of cone washers. The easy to tell is ifyou have a diff cover that is held on by bolts in the rear or does it look like the front. If it looks like the front you have a full floater. No full floater = no cone washers.

The thread you were looking at is a little different of a set up.

here you can see a little of the back of my diff. does it look like a full-floater type?

edit: i checked another pic, the back is held on by bolts.

Last edited:
So it will be a litte different than the tread you posted. The axles are notched for a C-clip. You need to remove the clip to slide out the axle shafts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom