SW Utah Labor Day Weekend/Week Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4xoa.com
I am planning a trip in Southwest Utah Labor Day "week."

Highlights include:
Parts of the Utah BDR and Great Western Trail
Mexican Hat, Valley of the Gods, Natural Bridges, Capitol Reef (2 nights only firm dates)
Escalante/Grand Staircase

I am leaving on 8/31 for Mexican Hat. Official start will be the next morning. I have to be home by 9/8 in the afternoon. Other than that it is let the weather, mood, desire for dirt, and side trips determine the final itinerary. Only formal campground I have booked is in Capitol Reef for Mon-Wed (2 nights). The rest will likely be dispersed no services camping.

I am happy to lead folks and do all of the planning but you are on your own for your own safety.

If anyone is interested in tagging along let me know. This area is rich in opportunities and side trails. I will be bringing my trailer. Dirt will be limited to what I can comfortably do with my teardrop besides base camping at Capitol Reef.

If anyone has been in the area and knows of any great dispersed camping areas let me know. I have researched via iOverlander and a few other resources and have plenty of maps and public land data via Gaia GPS. A friend from Colorado may be joining me so that's why I am starting in Mexican Hat first.

I don't talk politics, I don't listen to people who talk politics, I do like to have 2-3 beers in the evening, happy to coordinate group meals, I am a Sagittarius and I am generally full of crap.. Want to date me?

I would be all over this trip to this amazing area but i'm not going to be get the time off with such short notice. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the trip. Safe travels Chris.

I would be all over this trip to this amazing area but i'm not going to be get the time off with such short notice. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the trip. Safe travels Chris.

Yeah I know short notice... I will map out as much as possible for a future trip. There are tons of options.

There are tons of places to camp in and near Mexican Hat. I have camp below the Hat, the river put in at Mexican hat, Johns Canyon, Mulley Point, Gooseneck State Park, Monument Valley, and most recently off the road to Johns canyon pictured below where I was the guide for the Maltec group a couple months ago.

c7x62apW6TTEm090Ed07UgAc-9cvAd5GvRaM2U6FCVkStfm2934j9Mzxtz3d7SYnPymH_-MtJBkza2Oj2TIPkIvmonRLODloAsY4UxaM7pHZCc-NN03aaQ6oEoWjVr6MK_aD2AXY__X8RFBuHJtAck8frB4ioZBJ6DnuYMbj2gF44DOagkVCkph8_w1Hq3xmscUe2gly_qJElO7JhP5HBr-h4M-Shf93iEqMMekMaxPfM2toGEUryX_Hqv8LEkgdPc4xCc-enMjIBRKUw3BMUUCvRTzsPmHw_EYHl-ieX3NQqaMNKwmmbkfJfST_ZSIzHMlk5GLugIQ6YglRApDOMmuWe-BkY_j0va9akXG-f7DrMiFJ_yriVvEdHwDHhhqbAYR2tE08TRFlybtQshX6zZDfb987d0_HYwjgKmRKXKJXFgQmbUc-_Fv7LGiGz-xxfKq6T0Lo6348t7TfPHqF9Qbzm9FFT-YXw-AOOui17_PIZUHMiBnULhWZKZGSOd3bTbuqTOrz9zOgmt4keD4o7_Yy2SPjgkzNmHcw1Mho7olL4Qa2LTUftInSX1Jy4AMivK-5SEwHE5uSGbX1qHDR1rVlZUmyOi81G5B-4XH3=w1572-h894-no

Chris, I’m watching with interest. Once my other plans settle I may try to make part of this trip

Chris, I’m watching with interest. Once my other plans settle I may try to make part of this trip

If my friend from CO can't participate I may run this route clockwise vs starting in Mexican Hat. They may help some folks who don't have all the days off. I have lots of stuff mapped out and working on more.

It's looking more likely that my friend from CO can't make the trip. So I may start via Jacob Lake/Vermillion Cliffs area on 8/31 and the work my way up towards Escalante on Sat/Sun and then up to Capitol Reef on Monday where I have reservations for base camping and trailer free wheeling.

- Chris

Chris, there is a slim chance that I may join in for part of this trip. I'd planned to be much further north, but the smoke forecast is not very appealing for the next two weeks. I'll keep you posted as the trip draws near, but I'll likely be a last minute decision.

Chris, there is a slim chance that I may join in for part of this trip. I'd planned to be much further north, but the smoke forecast is not very appealing for the next two weeks. I'll keep you posted as the trip draws near, but I'll likely be a last minute decision.

Cool. I am pretty committed to running this from west to east. 1st night around Jacob Lake and then into Escalante and then Capitol Reef on Monday. If you don’t have a trailer a 2nd car can be added to my camping spot there. Otherwise there is dispersed camping nearby.

Cool. I am pretty committed to running this from west to east. 1st night around Jacob Lake and then into Escalante and then Capitol Reef on Monday. If you don’t have a trailer a 2nd car can be added to my camping spot there. Otherwise there is dispersed camping nearby.

Chris, FYI We found a lot of roads are closed in the Jacob Lake/North rim area. Yes the smoke is noticeable and take a lot out of the big views.:(

Chris, FYI We found a lot of roads are closed in the Jacob Lake/North rim area. Yes the smoke is noticeable and take a lot out of the big views.:(

You should see Oregon! Yuck... Friday will just be a place to camp and the trip will really start on Saturday. Thanks for the heads up. I will keep monitoring everything. The camping spot/area I would go to is really for altitude (temps) vs views.

Recapture Pocket is a place that has been on my to-do list if you are doing Valley of the Gods it's close by.

Sounding like I will be solo on this adventure. If so I will survive.
I will be in Captitol Reef Mon-Wed and then transition a little south to the Singleton Campground for Wed-Fri. If I leave early that's ok. It just gave me an easy place to secure my trailer vs random BLM to go explore the area more.

I just need to find some open places to camp on Saturday and Sunday depending on what route I take up to Capitol Reef. I am thinking about trying to find something near Kodachrome Park. We will see. I know it's hard for folks to get the same amount of time off as I have but the road is a calling...

Sounding like I will be solo on this adventure. If so I will survive.
I will be in Captitol Reef Mon-Wed and then transition a little south to the Singleton Campground for Wed-Fri. If I leave early that's ok. It just gave me an easy place to secure my trailer vs random BLM to go explore the area more.

I just need to find some open places to camp on Saturday and Sunday depending on what route I take up to Capitol Reef. I am thinking about trying to find something near Kodachrome Park. We will see. I know it's hard for folks to get the same amount of time off as I have but the road is a calling...

You are killing the wife and me.:cheers:

No smoke issues at the rim. Just flying over. Small fires still on the eastern edge but they seem to be very small.

Safe travels everyone.

No smoke issues at the rim. Just flying over. Small fires still on the eastern edge but they seem to be very small.

Safe travels everyone.

Believe almost all the smoke we were experiencing on the north rim run was from fires in California. On the way back on Monday could see small areas where the north rim fire was active but that wasn't the smoke covering the sky.

I will be leaving tomorrow AM. Headed to Pine Lake in Utah. This is on the Great Western Trail just NE of Bryce Canyon. From there I will either continue on the GWT to Capitol Reef or loop around and hit HWY 12 and drive the Devils Backbone on Monday.

I expect the campground at Pine Lake to be full but there is plenty of dispersed camping nearby.

I will be leaving tomorrow AM. Headed to Pine Lake in Utah. This is on the Great Western Trail just NE of Bryce Canyon. From there I will either continue on the GWT to Capitol Reef or loop around and hit HWY 12 and drive the Devils Backbone on Monday.

I expect the campground at Pine Lake to be full but there is plenty of dispersed camping nearby.

Next time you are in the area check out McGrath lake off Devils Backbone chances are you will be alone.

byOgpmpu2dL0mB07KK-cM1e62hRxQrzujvwMU_2U_ToaNpfytppiAjKWL0SvjLSpp8UVjpC5h_TT3JJGq0kq9SmFjEwwdJdcMMC8etMGjMsdbuzYGWc6NqrGZ4P0x9CMd62RANsOZ4JRFmlwBynIvjGFnu9pSD20aYIa1gw8UKsVCBq-qDNp0q0jNuP4s_U70OKdvwt2NCDOf9x_1KebS9nXJGUaBTDD230AtEW7y4BWO2ue6V9v5QGpmqPqcjab0A9fyyTI64l-QdKddYW7zcPRC_O-z2xnIpuQ10g0Zl8FYFsjj4vPKsTL0ealp0w2kmH3Z74MtPcyBYH23vgYBdSUxADL7sN8K8aph1MFMzTIMaX8dEc_MqzuiykAxEklI3zKLx3X8ySp9m4F8ZPRKpHDdzSBmlVvnJgzXsSphBy4TvastJ0ciXCqWaHJzdhdMH2D6wVmyqP_Mt_7MbEGvSi39jEQiw7Z0TkE_5rscPIuFXwSX1y0m-lqPD5v4ahwECIijF2siRonLU41If25sBpa8yfxBllS0byMDjMuMs7ldCQnnKxbKA51AUYJjqe2cjKxVbk8_5TgaPdjqha8w4xx6rEo9N6cjSPZSPXVS-NVf06U8wdBiP4QH8MMZVD8=w1341-h894-no

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom