Suspension Upgrade - 2018 Troopy w/ Pop Top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,

I’m finally getting my Troopy ordered, and while I wait for everything to come in to the UAE, thought I’d order some of the upgrades so that everything can be built as soon as it lands.

I’m a firm believer in “buy right, buy once” philosophy and have been looking at BP-51 OME with 2” lift and 400kg constant load rear leafs.

It’s a huge amount of money to drop, but I’m willing to, if they’re right for the vehicle, and for me.

The vehicle will be used on 70% tarmac over long distances from Dubai, out in to Oman, Saudi and eventually driven back to home in the UK. The 30% off road will be fast (80+kph) corrugated roads, off-road Rocky Mountain roads and wadi’s (dry river beds, often scattered with large rock/boulders, but not something I would call rock crawling).

Are the BP-51’s overkill, or should I just be looking at the OME Nitro’s? Choices are limited here, but the local ARB dealer is quoting me around $2,700 US for four shocks, front springs, 400kg leafs, shackles etc.

What are other people running on their Troopy’s, which I guess will be pretty close to capacity GVW.

Thanks

The BP-51's are nice but overkill. IMHO the bypass shocks work best on lighter vehicles moving faster off road than a Troopy.

I have the +400 rear leafs and with Nitros all around I've been pleasantly surprised by the ride. Thats why I love the OME kit so much, by letting the shock do more work in regulating the compression and rebound the springs can be a bit thinner and flex effectively.

Hello,

You got a good price on your suspension kit.

For your intended uses, the Nitro Chargers will do. I would go easier on the corrugated roads (less than 70 km/h) but that is just me.

Is your Troopie a 78 Series? This because of the front springs and leafs combination you mention.

Juan

Hello,

You got a good price on your suspension kit.

For your intended uses, the Nitro Chargers will do. I would go easier on the corrugated roads (less than 70 km/h) but that is just me.

Is your Troopie a 78 Series? This because of the front springs and leafs combination you mention.

Juan

Yes, 2018 VDJ78.

I have the 2" OME kit (OME leafs, OME springs, Nitrochargers, etc.) on my 76 and frankly it is a bit harsh when the vehicle is empty. If I am hauling a full 5 passengers or the rear cargo area is full, then the ride is nice. So it depends on what you're planning to do. If you're adding weight permanently, with the pop top and other gear in the rear, then you should be ok with the ride. Andrew St. Pierre White likes some of the OME bits but not others- and you might inquire with the Aussie Troopy group on FB (Troopcarriers of Australia?) as they'll have the most experience with aftermarket suspension for the Troopy.

Let us know what you end up with.

I have the 2" OME kit (OME leafs, OME springs, Nitrochargers, etc.) on my 76 and frankly it is a bit harsh when the vehicle is empty. If I am hauling a full 5 passengers or the rear cargo area is full, then the ride is nice. So it depends on what you're planning to do. If you're adding weight permanently, with the pop top and other gear in the rear, then you should be ok with the ride. Andrew St. Pierre White likes some of the OME bits but not others- and you might inquire with the Aussie Troopy group on FB (Troopcarriers of Australia?) as they'll have the most experience with aftermarket suspension for the Troopy.

Let us know what you end up with.

I’m confident the weight will be constant with my planned fit out in the back, plus additional weight of the pop-top, and extra fuel and water tank underneath the vehicle.

I’ve seen some of Andrew’s stuff, and I guess his is built to suit him. I won’t be doing to long journeys overland that he does (just yet, anyway) and I’m heavily restricted by the availability of items, unless I can ship reasonably from the US, SA or Australia.

I’ll try and track down the Troop Carriers of Australia page on Facebook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom