Suspension Cost Analysis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background: A couple years ago I installed bilstein 5100 struts and OME springs on the rear--plus 270/70/17 tires.

I've got squeaks on my front suspension coming front multiple spots, but primarily the steering tie rod. I got an estimate to replace both front ball joints and tie rods for about $1000.

I'm concerned that replacing with OEM parts will result in needing to replace it all again in a couple years, since the front struts kinda push the OEM control arms and everything to the limit of what they can fit.

I've been eyeballing some aftermarket kits that replace all the front end components and wondered if now is the time to purchase them. I've looked at chaos fab as a replacement, obviously that'd be huge investment-- 2003-2009 Toyota 4Runner Suspension And Accessories - https://www.chaosfab.com/2003-2009-Toyota-4Runner-Off-Road-Suspension-Accessories (LCA's are ~$1100 per arm)

Are there comparable shops that sell good aftermarket stuff for cheaper? Or should I just replace with OEM parts and I'm just paranoid?
It would also be nice to throw on some bigger tires down the road, build it even more for offroading.

It depends on what you're going to do. The any aftermarket control arm set will take vastly more maintenance than the factory parts. Even lifted. The spherical bushings don't last very long. 2 years at best. So everywhere there's one of those, plan on replacing every 2ish years. And consider everything that you need to tear apart to get them out.

The only joint I ever broke was a spherical bearing on the upper control arm where the ball joint was on the UCA. The hardware for the joint failed and it came apart. Not super fun. I switched back to ball joints for the upper control arms.

In my 4runner the fox suspension had to come out every 12-18 months to replace them. That got real old real fast. I would not recommend suspension component with spherical bearings for use on a daily driver. OEMs use rubber bushings and sealed ball joints for a reason. They last a long time with no maintenance.

If you have lots of time and want to spend some of it rebuilding suspension every year or two, go for it. I'm just cautioning you about what to really expect. At times in my life I was all about it. I'm getting old and I don't have time anymore.

IMO - I'd stick with Toyota OEM parts unless you need to keep the costs lower, but still go with OEM style. Unless you want to go hammer it in the desert, race, or something like that. Only then would I go for aftermarket arms like the total chaos or similar.

Last edited:
You have to remember that the OEM suspension was 13-19 years old and probably had ~150k-250k miles before you lifted it, the OEM stuff lasted a very long time. If you aren't going to go for a full long travel kit (marlin crawler, total chaos, jd fab, btf fab, camburg) you should use OEM for the major parts like lower control arms steering components and ball joints, I would recommend the iron man 4x4 upper control arm because it corrects the geometry for a lift but retains the oem upper ball joint

I'm concerned that replacing with OEM parts will result in needing to replace it all again in a couple years, since the front struts kinda push the OEM control arms and everything to the limit of what they can fit.

This statement makes me think you're coming from the Jeep world, maybe? No offense meant :) OEM stuff lasts a very long time, even if abused. If your tie rod ends are squeaking, squeeze some grease under the boots and see if the noise goes away. If there's no visible play in the socket joints, some grease will do ya!

I have OEM LCAs with SPC UCAs and a modest 2"+ lift w/o any ill effects. No squeaks or issues from any of the bushings BUT, I do have a squeak up front, which I think is coming from the sway bar end links. This is my second set of end linkS with the same noise, which is interesting. I'll squirt some grease in their boots to see if the noise subsides. First set were from Orielly's auto and the second set are Sankei 555 from NAPA.

Thank you all for your awesome advice!
I'm going to get my tie rod and ball joints replaced since it's about time for that. In the future I might get new uppers to accommodate the 2.5 inch lift up front. I gathered this will be ideal for my daily driver setup, and won't require $5k investment.

Thank you all for your awesome advice!
I'm going to get my tie rod and ball joints replaced since it's about time for that. In the future I might get new uppers to accommodate the 2.5 inch lift up front. I gathered this will be ideal for my daily driver setup, and won't require $5k investment.
I am in the market for 2006-2009 V8 4Runner, and had planned on doing a 2-3" lift on it. However, as a newby to lifting a vehicle, I am a bit confused about all the options. Like you, I don't plan on doing any hardcore 4wheeling but also want something that will last a while and not need constant changing out. Can you explain a bit more of your system or point me to a site that might explain options and pros and cons of each? I am a big fan of using OEM parts wjere possible but also really would like to do a minor lift when I do purchase one. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

This might help, or confuse the absolute s$#+t out of you 😁

I am in the market for 2006-2009 V8 4Runner, and had planned on doing a 2-3" lift on it. However, as a newby to lifting a vehicle, I am a bit confused about all the options. Like you, I don't plan on doing any hardcore 4wheeling but also want something that will last a while and not need constant changing out. Can you explain a bit more of your system or point me to a site that might explain options and pros and cons of each? I am a big fan of using OEM parts wjere possible but also really would like to do a minor lift when I do purchase one. Thanks for any advice you can offer!
I did a 2.5 inch in the front (2.5 rear) with the intention of adding a modest steel bumper/winch. I went with yotamafia for parts. They worked out for me, adjusted my front struts before shipping so that I didn't have to tension springs myself -- Bilstein 5100 | OME RTR Lift Kit - 4th Gen 4Runner & FJ Cruiser (2003-2009) - YotaMafia - https://yotamafia.com/product/2003-2009-toyota-4runner-3-lift-kit/
The 5100's make sense to me since I'm not getting fancy shocks with a reservior. They also offer things like brake line extenders (which I didn't need) in case your new lift pulls the brake line out due to not having enough length.

I had to unplug the x-reas suspension linkage (and still need to remove the clips/cables for it) when I lifted it. My tires are barely bigger than OEM and they rub metal at the very last 2 degrees of turning, so I'd recommend like a 1 inch spacer to keep your frame from being rubbed. What I gathered from this conversation is that OEM ball joints/LCA's will suit me better than aftermarket longevity wise. I can then later get a new upper control arm to properly set the alignment so it isn't bottomed out somewhere.

I did a 2.5 inch in the front (2.5 rear) with the intention of adding a modest steel bumper/winch. I went with yotamafia for parts. They worked out for me, adjusted my front struts before shipping so that I didn't have to tension springs myself -- Bilstein 5100 | OME RTR Lift Kit - 4th Gen 4Runner & FJ Cruiser (2003-2009) - YotaMafia - https://yotamafia.com/product/2003-2009-toyota-4runner-3-lift-kit/
The 5100's make sense to me since I'm not getting fancy shocks with a reservior. They also offer things like brake line extenders (which I didn't need) in case your new lift pulls the brake line out due to not having enough length.

I had to unplug the x-reas suspension linkage (and still need to remove the clips/cables for it) when I lifted it. My tires are barely bigger than OEM and they rub metal at the very last 2 degrees of turning, so I'd recommend like a 1 inch spacer to keep your frame from being rubbed. What I gathered from this conversation is that OEM ball joints/LCA's will suit me better than aftermarket longevity wise. I can then later get a new upper control arm to properly set the alignment so it isn't bottomed out somewhere.
Thank you for sharing your experience! This, along with the 4Runner.org link, give me what I need to confidently pick the right system. There are so many options it can be overwhelming, and everyone has different goals when lifting. Your goals with your lift are more in line with what I want to do so I appreciate you taking the time to explain.

Happy New Year!

Gents,

Please refrain from recreating the wheel by coming up with your suspension combination. Instead pick a kit from a vendor and bend over. Yes, it'll hurt but cry once and be done with it. FYI, OME kits tend to be "harsh" if your rig isn't on the heavy side with armor and junk.

Remember to set up your rig for the 98% use, not for the 2%. For most of us it's pavement pounding doing DD duty and soccer games, not the Baja style of high speed, big air catching photo ops. It's sad, but that's the reality that most of us live in 😡.

4runner.org is educational and has lots of answers already posted so take your time and absorb them.as a

FYI, I have Bilstein 6100 struts with King 700# springs and SPC UCAs. My tire size 265 70 17s. Rears are 2.5" Icon springs with 5th gen rear Bilstein TRD shocks . I don't do suspension or wheel spacers 😁. Fronts have Timbren bump stops, rear bump stops are from an Isuzu Trooper. I have caught air accidentally at high speeds and I liked it 👍🏼. I don't do slow, even when I'm towing my off-road camper.

Good luck and happy spending 😁👍🏼

Last edited:
Gents,

Please refrain from recreating the wheel by coming up with your suspension combination. Instead pick a kit from a vendor and bend over. Yes, it'll hurt but cry once and be done with it. FYI, OME kits tend to be "harsh" if your rig isn't on the heavy side with armor and junk.

Remember to set up your rig for the 98% use, not for the 2%. For most of us it's pavement pounding doing DD duty and soccer games, not the Baja style of high speed, big air catching photo ops. It's sad, but that's the reality that most of us live in 😡.

4runner.org is educational and has lots of answers already posted so take your time and absorb them.as a

FYI, I have Bilstein 6100 struts with King 700# springs and SPC UCAs. My tire size 265 70 17s. Rears are 2.5" Icon springs with 5th gen rear Bilstein TRD shocks . I don't do suspension or wheel spacers 😁. Fronts have Timbren bump stops, rear bump stops are from an Isuzu Trooper. I have caught air accidentally at high speeds and I liked it 👍🏼. I don't do slow, even when I'm towing my off-road camper.

Good luck and happy spending 😁👍🏼
Thanks for the advice. I don't mind paying extra for it as loing as I know it's quality, will last, and not cause me any additional issues. I appreciate the input about OME. I hear so much good about their kits and, like you said, my rig will be utilized on pavement a vast majority of the time as it will be a daily driver.

I will continue to research, particularly 4runner.org. I really appreciate all the sharing of information. And your right, it's all about the Benjamins!

Thanks again and Happy New Year!