Suspension and lift for a 4th gen 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Living in the Past

SILVER Star
Threads
Vehicle is a 04 4Runner, 4X4, 4.7 V8 Sport Edition (XREAS shocks) with 125K miles. Suspension is tired (shocks do not leak) and needs to be replaced. Looking for a small lift that does not require a front diff drop. It needs to be beefed up to handle a ARB bull bar and most likely winch since it's a winch bumper. Looking for recommendations of suspension/lift as well as a shop to do it in the Phoenix area. Prefer west valley since that is where we live. Once done my wife is going to decide if she wants to keep it as her DD or get something new. So far 5th gen 4R and Highlander have not impressed her enough to want to change vehicles even with the tired suspension. Seen that sweet 2011 200 series listed here but unless the handling is a lot different than the 100 series doubt she would like it. At least once it's lifted I'll have a vehicle here in the valley to wheel.

My wife's 04 4runner has a 2" or so Bilstein lift from toytec. It's cheap and decent, but the ride is not that great. Once the shocks wear out, I will go with either fox factory series coilovers next time.

A friend of mine has a more expensive toytec coilover kit that rides really nice, much better than ours.

I would definitely spend the money and get quality coilovers the first time around.

We aren’t west valley but if you decide East valley is ok we would love to help you out over here.

Scott
Avid

I had the 2" Bilstein lift on my 04 T4R with the V6. It was a huge improvement over stock and got me through a few years of wheeling and DD. There are way better ones, but the price shoots up quickly. You will,as you said, need stiffer springs. I ran stockers, and while cushy, they wallowed under the weight of gear for a weekend out. Toytec has you covered I would say.

I had the 2" Bilstein lift on my 04 T4R with the V6. It was a huge improvement over stock and got me through a few years of wheeling and DD. There are way better ones, but the price shoots up quickly. You will,as you said, need stiffer springs. I ran stockers, and while cushy, they wallowed under the weight of gear for a weekend out. Toytec has you covered I would say.

Did you remove the front sway bar when you did the lift?

For whatever reason my wife's truck rides rough with the Bilstein front lift/stock springs.

Another side note, I had the alignment shop set the caster at 4.5 and it drives really nice. I did put camburg uca's on it that give it more adjustment, so I'm not sure if that much faster is possible with stock uca's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom