Suspension advice for JDM FJ80 modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will soon take delivery of my JDM FJ80. While I wait, I’m planning my modification. I want to do the 42 gal aux tank, Slee front bumper and probably the LRA rear bumper because i know it will work with the aux tank. My FJ does have a tow package and I’m hoping that doesn’t screw up my plans. I will be adding a winch for the front. I’m concerned with the added weight behind the rear axle and it’s effect on the vehicle (sagging rear) and handling. I don’t plan more than 2.5 lift. I will be adding a roof rack, drawers for the back and the racks that bolt to the third seat mounts. I want the FJ to be highway friendly but decent off road. No rock crawling, just bad roads.

Looking for suggestions on the planned mods and which spring/lift choices will work well with the added weight. Will I need Aussie spec parts since I have a JDM FJ?
If it makes any difference, it’s a 5 speed manual.

I have a JDM spec FJ80, If you're going to add all that extra weight any of the extra HD suspensions will work from OME, Ironman, etc. The lifts are all pretty much the same except the springs that are marked Driver side, will go on the right instead of the left there is no difference except for some steering components which will be listed as RHD(steering links will have to be RHD specific) . You will probably want gears too, which engine are you getting? The towing package on my fj bolts to the rear bumper and was removeable. You will probably want the vehicle fully checked out once it arrives, fluids, anything rubber, rust, etc. Procuring some parts may be difficult but not impossible. Also if your need an extra spare key, it will be a laser cut one from Lexus, the standard US blank will not work. Are you doing any work on your own or having a shop do the mods?

I will soon take delivery of my JDM FJ80. While I wait, I’m planning my modification. I want to do the 42 gal aux tank, Slee front bumper and probably the LRA rear bumper because i know it will work with the aux tank. My FJ does have a tow package and I’m hoping that doesn’t screw up my plans. I will be adding a winch for the front. I’m concerned with the added weight behind the rear axle and it’s effect on the vehicle (sagging rear) and handling. I don’t plan more than 2.5 lift. I will be adding a roof rack, drawers for the back and the racks that bolt to the third seat mounts. I want the FJ to be highway friendly but decent off road. No rock crawling, just bad roads.

Looking for suggestions on the planned mods and which spring/lift choices will work well with the added weight. Will I need Aussie spec parts since I have a JDM FJ?
If it makes any difference, it’s a 5 speed manual.

I have a JDM spec FJ80, If you're going to add all that extra weight any of the extra HD suspensions will work from OME, Ironman, etc. The lifts are all pretty much the same except the springs that are marked Driver side, will go on the right instead of the left there is no difference except for some steering components which will be listed as RHD(steering links will have to be RHD specific) . You will probably want gears too, which engine are you getting? The towing package on my fj bolts to the rear bumper and was removeable. You will probably want the vehicle fully checked out once it arrives, fluids, anything rubber, rust, etc. Procuring some parts may be difficult but not impossible. Also if your need an extra spare key, it will be a laser cut one from Lexus, the standard US blank will not work. Are you doing any work on your own or having a shop do the mods?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something... which springs are marked driver/passenger? I've never seen anything like that before. Sounds interesting.

Most major suspension companies will have springs marked that way. OME, Ironman and many others. Just check on the instructions that come with your lift. The springs will be labeled either A or B (for example from OME) my ironman springs came labeled DS for driver side, NS for nearside (passenger). The springs come that way to account for driver side weight. Attached is a pic of one of my springs labeled NS for passenger side.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something... which springs are marked driver/passenger? I've never seen anything like that before. Sounds interesting.

ironmanspring.jpg

Don’t mean to switch the subject, but I’m about to have 300mm spring spacers install in the front on my 97 FJ80 and I’m trying to figure out which of these two part below I need to use. They both fit the FJ80 and they may both work, but I think I need to use the spring spacers, not the spring isolaters. Is that right? Does it matter? Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
D66EC9BE-53CD-4571-81E8-5C9EF0313D9D.png

Don’t mean to switch the subject, but I’m about to have 300mm spring spacers install in the front on my 97 FJ80 and I’m trying to figure out which of these two part below I need to use. They both fit the FJ80 and they may both work, but I think I need to use the spring spacers, not the spring isolaters. Is that right? Does it matter? Thanks for any help anyone can provide! View attachment 2351757
These are both the same thing, 30mm lift made of polyurethane. Buy either one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom