Surprising 2015 vs. 2021 differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I brought a new 2021 HE home yesterday and discovered a few differences from my 2015 (2nd gen 200) I wasn't aware of:

1. Second row middle seat headrest is no longer hidden pull up type. Kinda sucks because it obstructs rear vision, but I suppose it's more properly sized for a full size adult. They also added pretty useless storage space and replaced the cupholders with a fiddly slide out type. OTOH, lowering the armrest does not force open the passage to the cargo area (the back portion needs to be dropped separately). Mixed feelings about it, downgrade/upgrade depending on one's usage. I'll probably remove the center headrest as I rarely carry a person there. Pictures below in case somebody is interested in seeing these differences.

2. Lower tailgate has electronic lock that adds some delay to open/close. Annoying. And another electrical thing to break.

3. Rear wiper washer is activated by pushing out the stalk, rather via a separate position on the rotary knob. This is nice and more intuitive.

4. Can't cycle through cameras while in reverse. Only limited cycling between front/side forward camera view available while stationary. I get it there is 360 degree view now, but why the limitation. Plus it cycles through the NAV view which is idiotic.

5. Front seats appear softer. Did not have much complaints about 2015 seats, but it's nice.

6. Fake wood trim is darker, there is less of it, so it's less objectionable. Nice.

7. Leather/heated portion of the steering wheel is larger. Nice.

No to regurgitate other well-known differences... but:

1. My initial impression is 8-speed is okay but it's for sure clunkier. 2nd to 1st downshift around 10 mph is there but at least my example doesn't jerk/kick like another one I test drove. The low speed whine makes it feel more like a truck/agricultural machine. I don't mind but it's surprising.

2. Exterior look is sharp. I like 2015 look especially with AT tires, but 2021, especially HE, looks awesome.

3. Interior feels more modern, but it's not a huge deal. Center console/stack is cleaner, many buttons are easier to access. But 2015 gauge cluster is less cluttered with larger easier to read fuel/temp gauges.

Last edited:
2015 2nd row armrest / headrest:

IMG_6681.jpg
IMG_6682.jpg

That barrier between the armrest and the cargo comes down if you tug the little lever on the side of the armrest.

That barrier between the armrest and the cargo comes down if you tug the little lever on the side of the armrest.

Yes, I am aware, but thanks!

What I meant it is possible to have armrest down without the pass through to the cargo area - not possible on the 2015.

Hence the net on the 2015. I do the same thing.

Totally. I am really paranoid about cargo becoming a projectile during accident or even hard braking. The net is not ideal but should do the job, plus it's easy to remove/store in case 3rd row get used. Though it attaches to 3rd row grab handles which are rather weakly fastened to the body.

For the HE I am getting Kaon's cargo barrier/upper shelf combo that attaches via the 3rd row handle delete brackets, should be pretty solid. I thought it is silly that Toyota left the 3rd row grab handles on a 2-row variant, but it's coming handy for this purpose.

Last edited:
2. Lower tailgate has electronic lock that adds some delay to open/close. Annoying. And another electrical thing to break.
This is soft close. If it’s any comfort to you, it’s still going strong on my 2008 LX after tens of thousands of tailgate closes.

The thing I don't care for on the Koan cargo barrier is the way it attaches to the headrest posts. I currently have a low buck Russian cargo barrier that has similar attachment points. I like the better design of the Speski/Wits End barrier (not yet available for the 200).

The thing I don't care for on the Koan cargo barrier is the way it attaches to the headrest posts. I currently have a low buck Russian cargo barrier that has similar attachment points. I like the better design of the Speski/Wits End barrier (not yet available for the 200).

Agree, I am not crazy about it, but I am not seeing a better option right now so decided to get it. I believe there is full height ARB barrier (or maybe another Australian brand?) that can be used without drawers, but I don't think it's easy or cheap to get.

I'm waiting for the Travall brand to be back in stock.

I know people will freak out about the airbag compatibility, but this is what I am running for now:
7A37521F-BF9E-4B3A-95FF-7B053B3F940C.jpeg

The electric release on the tailgate isn't a big deal IMHO, how often have the door locks failed on these 200's? After owning two late model 200's with the 8-speed transmission I still can't detect this low speed tranny whine that y'all speak of.

I run the Kaon shelf in our GX and love it. No need for the cargo barrier personally so I can't speak to it's design or usefulness. I have a few Kaon products now and I've gotta say that even with the combined international shipping they make a very affordable and well built product. If we could get a state side distributor and save some on the shipping they would put a dent in the domestic offerings. Every time I have ordered from them I have received my item in under 10 days from Australia, even during the height of the Covid non-sense when domestics were taking weeks to ship two states away.

O4OuO9H.jpg

DmQpZgM.jpg

I brought a new 2021 HE home yesterday and discovered few differences from my 2015 (2nd gen 200) I wasn't aware of:

1. Second row middle seat headrest is no longer hidden pull up type. Kinda sucks because it obstructs rear vision, but I suppose it's more properly sized for a full size adult. They also added pretty useless storage space and replaced the cupholders with a fiddly slide out type. OTOH, lowering the armrest does not force open the passage to the cargo area (the back portion needs to be dropped separately). Mixed feelings about it, downgrade/upgrade depending on one's usage. I'll probably remove the center headrest as I rarely carry a person there. Pictures below in case somebody is interested in seeing these differences.

3. Rear wiper washer is activated by pushing out the stalk, rather via a separate position on the rotary knob. This is nice and more intuitive.

4. Can't cycle through cameras while in reverse. Only limited cycling between front/side forward camera view available while stationary. I get it there is 360 degree view now, but why the limitation. Plus it cycles through the NAV view which is idiotic.

5. Front seats appear softer. Did not have much complaints about 2015 seats, but it's nice.

6. Fake wood trim is darker, there is less of it, so it's less objectionable. Nice.

7. Leather/heated portion of the steering wheel is larger. Nice.

No to regurgitate other well-known differences... but:

1. My initial impression is 8-speed is okay but it's for sure clunkier. 2nd to 1st downshift around 10 mph is there but at least my example doesn't jerk/kick like another one I test drove. The low speed whine makes it feel more like a truck/agricultural machine. I don't mind but it's surprising.

2. Exterior look is sharp. I like 2015 look especially with AT tires, but 2021, especially HE, looks awesome.

3. Interior feels more modern, but it's not a huge deal. Center console/stack is cleaner, many buttons are easier to access. But 2015 gauge cluster is less cluttered with larger easier to read fuel/temp gauges.
The electric release on the tailgate isn't a big deal IMHO, how often have the door locks failed on these 200's? After owning two late model 200's with the 8-speed transmission I still can't detect this low speed tranny whine that y'all speak of.

I run the Kaon shelf in our GX and love it. No need for the cargo barrier personally so I can't speak to it's design or usefulness. I have a few Kaon products now and I've gotta say that even with the combined international shipping they make a very affordable and well built product. If we could get a state side distributor and save some on the shipping they would put a dent in the domestic offerings. Every time I have ordered from them I have received my item in under 10 days from Australia, even during the height of the Covid non-sense when domestics were taking weeks to ship two states away.

O4OuO9H.jpg

DmQpZgM.jpg
Me either. My 8 speed has zero gear noise, is not "balky" and the 2 extra gears make a huge difference on hilly highways. The upshift to 7th isn't even noticeable unless your watching the tach.

Really weird then, because the 2 examples of a 2021 I had driven had the 1st gear whine. I drove another 2 months earlier, didn't notice it, but it wasn't aware of the "issue" so I wasn't looking for it.

Haven't had my 2021 on the highway yet, so no comment of its behavior there.

Re soft-close worry of breaking is secondary to the delay it adds. But I am sure I will get used to it.

Me either. My 8 speed has zero gear noise, is not "balky" and the 2 extra gears make a huge difference on hilly highways. The upshift to 7th isn't even noticeable unless your watching the tach.
Mine has the tsb and I have no clunkin
Really weird then, because the 2 examples of a 2021 I had driven had the 1st gear whine. I drove another 2 months earlier, didn't notice it, but it wasn't aware of the "issue" so I wasn't looking for it.

Haven't had my 2021 on the highway yet, so no comment of its behavior there.

Re soft-close worry of breaking is secondary to the delay it adds. But I am sure I will get used to it.
FWIW, my 2016 also has no whine (tested w HVAC and radio off today to be sure). With the TSB, the only thing I notice is when I am slowing down but don't hit a full stop I get a hard shift. I have seen this with other cars too. I liked the 6 speed in my 11, but find the 8 speed to be excellent as well. Both were great rigs. I do enjoy the birds eye camera more than I thought I would, both in urban and mountain situations.

Mine has the tsb and I have no clunkin

FWIW, my 2016 also has no whine (tested w HVAC and radio off today to be sure). With the TSB, the only thing I notice is when I am slowing down but don't hit a full stop I get a hard shift. I have seen this with other cars too. I liked the 6 speed in my 11, but find the 8 speed to be excellent as well. Both were great rigs. I do enjoy the birds eye camera more than I thought I would, both in urban and mountain situations.
It’s not the shift that’s hard. It’s the engagement of all the built up driveline at an insanely low gear ratio (first).

Indeed. I wish they made a 200-series barrier then.

barrier-01_2_orig.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom