Surging in 3rd and 4th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright... So I think I've figured some of this one out, but I thought others might be able to chip in. For a while now I've noticed that my Injector Pump (IP) can be slightly temperamental. Day to day I find that the amount of power the engine delivers fluctuates a bit. Some days I get really nice responsive power throughout the revs (up to 3500) and the engine pulls really well, and then other days it can be a bit lazy and feels sluggish. I also started noticing recently that I have less power when I switch between tanks. Finally, recently I've been getting some surging in 3rd and 4th under acceleration, which feels like the clutch slipping, but I now think it is fuel related.

The last week or so on one tank I've had more consistency with the engine and power without any of the surging; however, after filling up this morning and switching tanks the surging came back immediately in 3rd and 4th and power felt down. After work, I will switch back to the other tank to see if it goes away so I can isolate the issue to the one tank.

My thoughts are...
1) Fuel pickup / fuel lines are blocked with diesel growth
2) Fuel filters - two pre lift pump and one main before IP are potentially blocked up (although I replace these every service)
3) Fuel Lift Pump screen is blocked.
4) Air leak somewhere in the system.
5) Tank breather is blocked and creating a vacuum.
6) Some issue internally in the IP.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone experienced similar issues with their engine surging in 3rd/4th, which felt like the clutch slipping, but wasn't?

It sounds like fuel starvation. The rpms are probably lower in 3rd and 4th, but it uses more fuel due to the load on the engine.. I would set up an independent fuel supply from a 5 litre container. This should isolate it between engine and fuel tanks.
Blocked fuel pick ups can be temperamental. They block/unblock on a whim.
I cant see algea in the fuel lines being a problem if you have been driving it regularly.
If its an internal problem in the inj pump, my guess its the fuel governor

Still doing it on the way home from work... It's specifically when the revs are low in 3rd and 4th and under heavy acceleration. If I give it perhaps 3/4 throttle it accelerates fine and once I get to around 2300 revs it accelerates like normal with full throttle.

Last edited:
Is it a rotary or inline pump?

Rotary (14BT)

IMG_20210604_222620201.jpg

So, since last week I've only been running on the rear tank and the surging has gone away completely, which means it must be something to do with the front tank. I gave the fuel lines a quick blow out with compressed air last night and once I run the rear tank a bit lower I'll switch over and see how it goes. I'm guessing it might be a partically blocked pickup as @roscoFJ73 suggested above, but we'll see. I'll post back results later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom