Supreme Leader - Starter Replacement Vid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just completed this job on my 2010 LX. I followed @DuckNinja93 's pointers here. Some tips in addition to what has already been shared:
  • Our trucks seem to have tighter clearances than the Youtube videos of Tundras. On a LX you will also have a AHC hard line in the way.
  • Removing the exhaust mid pipe made the job easier but a few of the bolts did not come out clean. Penetrating oil is essential; go slowly working them out a little a time. Recommend having a M10x1.25 tap and die handy. I had all new hardware on hand and ended up using all of it.
    • P/N Quantity Price Each Description
      9008010291 2 $ 3.92 BOLT Midpipe Bolts - rear
      9672119010 1 $ 1.98 RING Dipstick O-Ring
      9012610033 3 $ 5.67 BOLT Midpipe Studs - front
      9008017187 3 $ 1.65 NUT Midpipe Nuts - front
      9091706066 1 $ 8.55 GASKET Midpipe Gasket - front
  • There is a third small heat shield that is bolted to the exhaust manifold directly over the starter. Removing the two bolts (one from the inside) and dropping it down was very helpful in making the electrical connections.
    • IMG_8727-Edit.jpg
  • The cable running to the starter is secured from below. I had to unbolt this mounting point to get enough slack in the cable to remove the starter
  • Essential tools: Extra long needle nose pliers, swivel type universal joints, wobble extensions. Regular offset combination wrenches worked for all the situations where I needed them, but a flex head ratcheting wrench would have been handy (10 and 14mm iirc).
Overall this job took longer than expected. Limited access and tight clearances made it genuinely frustrating at times. If you are having trouble accessing something from below, try reaching in from the wheel well and vice versa. If I didn’t live in rust belt I would remove the exhaust manifold instead of doing it this way.

Last edited:
1/4" 10MM universal joint socket
3/8" 12MM universal join semi-deep socket
A whole bunch of different length extension

I've done a few starters on 1UR & 3UR engines a bunch of manifolds on all toyota platforms. Those are my go-to sockets for jobs like this !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom