Sun roof... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_1001.JPG

Yesterday a semi kicked up a stone, I heard it hit glass but thought it was the windshield.
Didn't see anything so I shrugged and whatever'd.
In my way into work this morning SWOOSH and rattles.
Opened the sun shade and was doused with broken glass.
Got to work and this is what I found.

Yes it is covered in full zero outta pocket other than the rental car.
Shopping around for one of those as we speak unless I can get a spare van from work. Our mechanic just got a brand new service van so his old one might be available if all of his tools are switched over yet.

never seen that before. sucks!

I have never seen it before either.
I stopped by the shop before work this morning, they looked it over, asked if I was dropping it off and picking up the rental.
I asked what needed to be done, he said they had to replace the whole sunroof assembly.
I asked how long for the parts to come in, he said two days if in stock, longer if it has to be ordered.
I said call me when the parts are in adn we will scheduale the repairs and I'd pick up the rental then, no need to pay for a rental car while my truck sits in their parking lot for a week.
So they covered it with thick plastic and I went on my way.
He assured me they would be checking the sunroof drains for blockage when the did the repairs.

if the sunroof was working before the glass was broken you should be fine with just replacing the glass.

They said glass got into the track and the whole unit needs to be replaced, that's all I know.
I too would think only the glass needs to be replaced, but then again I'm not a sunroof repair person.
I have no idea what is involved in replacing the glass on a sunroof.

Considering I never open mine, I'd rather have a steel sunroof, personally. Or even better, no sunroof at all.

I never open mine either and I always keep the shade closed, even though tinted my bald head gets sunburnt and I hate wearing hats inside the truck.
I too would prefer no sunroof, but alas when buying used and even then when buying new the only options offered here in the NAS market are all or nothing...so sunroof it is.

I dig the moon roof... makes the truck a bit more "airy" with the shade open. I wish my sunroof worked, but $2k ++ to fix would suck.

ive replaced them before and its 4 bolts that secure the glass to the lift arms. i would request just the glass, ive only had to replace the whole assembly when theres an issue with the cables or physical damage to the track. they can clean the glass out

ive replaced them before and its 4 bolts that secure the glass to the lift arms. i would request just the glass, ive only had to replace the whole assembly when theres an issue with the cables or physical damage to the track. they can clean the glass out

It is schedualed to go in on the 8th, they are replacing just the glass, are going to clean up the track and lube it, check functionally. He said two days to replace the glass, clean and check everything. I don't see why it would take two days, but whatever I guess.
I'm more pissed at my insurance agent for adding road side assistance when I didn't ask for it, just found that out with all of this. $24/yr for both cars and I have no idea how long I've had it. Years ago when the fuel pump went out on the Volvo and I paid to have it towed home would they have covered the tow?
I'm really pissed.
Anyway, the trucks going to be taken care of and I might be looking for a new insurance agent once I get her back.

I dig the moon roof... makes the truck a bit more "airy" with the shade open. I wish my sunroof worked, but $2k ++ to fix would suck.

I hear ya.
Have you checked the rollers? Lubed the track? Checked the switch? Motor?

On my Discovery I sealed mine shut and unplugged the switch. Marine grade silicone. No more leaks.

it may be 2 days because of the work schedule, it dosnt take all that long to replace the glass and get it adjusted it on the arms so it sits correctly. if the sunroof was in good working order before the glass broke than you probably wont need any more parts

Thats what I'm thinking too. They are busy, he pushed me up to the 8th, they wanted him to wait until the 14th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom