Summer trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We’re taking a summer trip to CO in mid July and looking for some camping location ideas. We’ve never visited Colorado so we don’t have any first hand experiences to draw from. We’re looking to do a mix of kid friendly areas that are near or in town to take advantage of restaurants and kid adventure type stuff and somepossible boondocking. We’re set up for off the grid camping but don’t mind an occasional crowded campground. So far we don’t have any agenda other than the date and the state (and slee). Well be traveling from Ventura, California so we’ll be stopping at a place or two along the way to break up the drive. Your thought and suggestions are greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.
Paul

There are a lot of trails in Colorado. Not sure what your skill or comfort level might be.
A few of my top trails, in no particular order are:
Lead King Basin,
Pearl Pass/Taylor Pass,
McCallister/Wearyman Gulches
Imogene,
Red Cone/Saints John

Some of these are very challenging. My suggestion to you would be to buy the Charles A Wells guidebook, and use it to help pick your route. the trails are rated by difficulty. It’s the best trail book out there IMO. Might even be able to hit more than you expected. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1934...ado+trails&dpPl=1&dpID=61W0lT2G-qL&ref=plSrch

There are a lot of trails in Colorado. Not sure what your skill or comfort level might be.
A few of my top trails, in no particular order are:
Lead King Basin,
Pearl Pass/Taylor Pass,
McCallister/Wearyman Gulches
Imogene,
Red Cone/Saints John

Some of these are very challenging. My suggestion to you would be to buy the Charles A Wells guidebook, and use it to help pick your route. the trails are rated by difficulty. It’s the best trail book out there IMO. Might even be able to hit more than you expected. Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1934...ado+trails&dpPl=1&dpID=61W0lT2G-qL&ref=plSrch

Good info...thanks

We hope you have a great trip, whatever trails you choose to drive; the Wells Books are a good broad overview "in the glovebox" resource, but for more up-to-date and far more descriptive trail information, I suggest trailsoffroad.com. (full disclosure: I write Colorado trail guides for trailsoffroad).

User registration is free, and you won't get spammed with emails. You can search the database of over 1,200 trails in multiple states (close to 400 in Colorado, for example, and an equal number at home in California).

Screen roads/trails in areas where you're interested; view the photos, videos, and text descriptions, then you can download the .gpx files to your phone and use your navigation app (Gaia, Base Camp, whatever).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom