Suggestions on a come-a-long to carry? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For 30 years I've carried a military come-a-long in the Cruiser in the backcountry. It's wearing out and starting to get dangerous. What I'm looking for is a cut above the crap they sell at auto parts stores or big box hardware stores, which I have a few of. What I'm NOT looking for on the high end of the price scale are those awesome hand winches that crawl along the cable (Tifor?) as those are more than a small electric winch.

Anybody have something like that they'd suggest to replace my old trusty?

I carry this bastard in the trunk as a backup. Only used it couple times over the years but it worked.

There are some larger 5-ton varieties that can be had for around $70-80, too.

Last edited:
I also carry a come along and prefer it's small size and flexibility vs. a winch. My current puller is similar to the 8k Harbor Freight shown above and think it's a good size for light recovery and similar tasks. I keep mine in the tailgate and it fits well along with a recovery strap/shackles, and doesn't overload the weight of the gate. I don't ever plan to test it near it's stated limits.

I've used a variety of these types of pullers over the years, including some pretty robust/industrial ones and while you can scale up to very strong pullers they also get heavy and are more than I'd want to keep in the 80 or carry around on slick/sloped surfaces.

I'd guess most of these are made in china these days and when I shopped for my last one I didn't see much variety in materials or finish.

If you need more than the "8k" ish hand pullers can offer I'd consider just moving to bumper mounted winch to get a jump in capacity without the hassle of storing/carrying a larger puller. Of course, every use/scenario is different.

I have no real experience and it may be too expensive but this looks like a step up:

This, the More Power Puller. US made and the come-along equivalent of the Hi-Lift jack. I've had one for 20 years and have found it to be extremely useful for all types of pulling needs.

Another option from a reputable company is the Maasdam Pow'r-Pull. They have been around since 1946. They have a 4-ton units (using a pulley)
1668721346192.png

Wow, some nice upgrades. Unfortunately, every one of them is $400 ish and more, which is what I am trying to avoid. I was hoping there'd be a middle ground less than those very nice ones, but a step above the "stamped metal handled Chinese" types you see everywhere. Maybe I'll nose around a military surplus and get another like my worn model...

Check the used market for a Wyeth Scott. Sounds like the design hasn't changed much and service parts are available. You might be able to pick up a quality piece for a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom