Stupid question... how do you flush your 80's radiator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mikesta

Never decruiserfied
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.showmerents.com
Im thinking logically, but If I drain, put water in, turn the engine on/off, drain...
repeat the above 2-3 times

drain, put water in, turn the engine on/off, drain...

Then put 40-50 in should be done eh? Thats my guess... how do you do it? I cant see paying 130 for Jiffy's Tube to do it.... after Les schwab's incident, dont really want anyone else working on my rig.

Thanks

Mikesta

I usually drain 'em first then run the garden hose and start the motor until the water clear then shut the engine off, close the drain plug fill up with the Toyota Red coolant.

From my experience, you won't get a good flush unless you remove the block drain, and also remove a hose going backward through the rear heater/heater core so you can jam a hose in it to flush those. The reason is the 80's thermostat doesn't even open fully sitting at idle. You can tell because the upper radiator hose won't even get hot just sitting at idle. Do it correctly - adds 10% to the time but results in significantly better cooling and heating.

DougM

Ok Doug if you mention it would be better also to remove the block drain. Can you point it exactly or would you help me where exactly the block drain at? or one of you may have the pic to locate the plug? any help would appreciate - thanks

JerryLX450 said:
Ok Doug if you mention it would be better also to remove the block drain. Can you point it exactly or would you help me where exactly the block drain at? or one of you may have the pic to locate the plug? any help would appreciate - thanks

Lift or remove the small plastic skirt in the upper/rear drivers side wheel well. You should be able to look straight across and see the brass bolt/plug on the side of the engine block. 14mm or 17mm IIRC.

:beer:
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom