Straps - the verbage is killing me (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just ordered my winch and my next purchase to research is rigging. When looking at all the gear out there, the different names each company uses really confuse me.

ARB:
Snatch - stretchy, for vehicle on vehicle tugging
Winch extension - no stretch
Tree saver - no stretch?

Can a tree saver be used as a winch extension?

Warn: link
Tree trunk protector - tree wrap
Standard recovery strap - ??stretchy or not??

Mile Marker
: link
Recovery/Tree Strap - assume no stretch

Recovery Straps - Tow Straps - Proper Usage
Tow strap - no stretch with hook ends
Recovery Strap - stretch

My head is hurting.:meh:

Any advice on good combination of value/quality? I see a vendor has ARB kits on sale. BTW - Warn 9.5XP

The tree-saver should be no stretch. It's basically a short winch extension that allows you to hook up to a tree without gouging it.

For me, a "recovery strap" sounds like the same thing as a snatch strap. But it's not clear that this term is consistently used by vendors, so you should contact them to determine the exact use.

Generally, I would stay away from using any strap with metal hooks attached except as a winch extension strap. I would definitely not use one as a snatch strap, even if that's what it is. Too much chance of the hook flying off and causing a problem.

So I just ordered my winch and my next purchase to research is rigging. When looking at all the gear out there, the different names each company uses really confuse me.

ARB:
Tree saver - no stretch?

Mile Marker

Recovery Strap - stretch

Any advice on good combination of value/quality? I see a vendor has ARB kits on sale. BTW - Warn 9.5XP

When I got mine, I got a 6 foot tree strap (if I did it over id get at least an 8 foot) I got a 66 foot winch extension strap from ARB, and I got an ARB snatch block, and three warn shackles.

Other things I carry are a 50 foot recovery strap, and a 30 foot recovery strap, obviously some gloves.

If I could add to my pile? Id get a smaller strap with hooks on at least one end for pulling little cars out of not very stuck situations (snowy parking lots) there aren't too many places to attach a half inch shackle to a cavalier.
Another short strap might also help when using the snatch block.

To answer your question, a tree saver can be technically used as an extension, but they are usually only 4-8 feet long.

An extension strap does not stretch, and just helps extend the range of your winch.

A recovery strap, sometimes called a snatch strap, tow strap, all sorts of names.. has a lot of strech, and is used vehicle to vehicle.

And just FYI a Tow strap is NOT the same as a recovery strap. A tow strap would be similar as a winch extension, and has no, to minimal stretch.

Hi All:

The basic items you need for using the new electric winch is a anchor (tree) strap and a "D" ring shackle. Worthwhile to have is a snatch block (pulley) and perhaps a second anchor strap.

"Snatch" straps are designed to stretch a bit, developing kinetic energy to help a vehicle to pull another vehicle out of a stuck situation. Winch extensions are entirely different from snatch straps.

Dave, if you want to talk more about this send me an e-mail on the 'Cruiserheads List.

Regards,

Alan

ARB:
Tree saver - no stretch?

Mile Marker

Recovery Strap - stretch

I know what straps to use when. I have many years experience as the winch bitch.

My problem is shopping. I'm trying to find the best deal on rigging and it is difficult to compare products.

Like that Warn kit, is the "standard recovery strap" a snatch or winch extension.

With Warn, I'd call their customer service.

With others, there's probably some way to tell from the weave of the material in the strap. But I don't know it.

Seems that most of them have tow hooks on each end - including their 4x4 series straps. Bad idea. Their H series looks pretty cool. I wonder if Dave at Japan4x4 is selling them.
From their Japanese web site: Google Translate

sensya.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom