Strange home wiring problem (mud curse?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

there has to be a short somewhere and I agree with the above, call the home inspector and tell him he's paying for a licensed electrician to come out and find the problem since he obviously didn't.

that one breaker does look like it has 2 wires under it.

also Scott i can not tell through the rats nest, but is the green bond screw in the neutral/ground bar?

Are there 2 wires landed on breaker 13? Can't tell from pic.....
One wire that goes to the kitchen above the stove (microwave), and one to the doorbell transformer on the side of the panel. Both those circuits run neutral to the ground bar. One wire on breaker 24.
it has to have a disconnect, usually a main breaker in that panel.

NEC 230.70

There is no disconnect I can see, the two legs come in the top as shown in the picture without a disconnect.

The sucky thing is I'll have to yank my unlicensed wire for the TV power and hide it before the inspector comes over. No big deal, this is important.

If this is the same specter that signed off on this debacle, then he don't got any legs to stand on when it comes to your unpermitted circuit. And I'd tell him that too if he says anything. This is his(the counties) bad.....

If this is the same specter that signed off on this debacle, then he don't got any legs to stand on when it comes to your unpermitted circuit. And I'd tell him that too if he says anything. This is his(the counties) bad.....

Good to know, thanks, I'm not sure on all the legalities. This would be a difficult thing to detect, so I have a hard time saying he didn't do his job, but it did happen under his watch so I can see him being responsible.

It's amazing about electrical wiring: nearly every house in America has electrical wiring in it. That's approximately 80 million homes. You would think with a potential marketplace of 80 million homes that, at some point, there would be at least one person who would think "there's a lot of potential business for a person who repairs home electrical issues," and a service would pop up where you could exchange a reasonably low amount of money for that person's time and they would provide expert advice and repair work that would enable the homeowner to have reliable electricity without the possibility of electrocution, fire, or smoke damage to the home. And yet, there's nothing. Nobody provides that service. We all have to just sort of hack at it the best we can and hope for the best. Somebody should really consider providing a service to that totally neglected market.

It's really weird.

Dumbass.

Weak. Working on your own s*** is the manly way, knowing your limits is smart. I've worked however briefly as an electrician, and I'm calling in the pros now after consulting with the mud electricians just in case I'm not seeing something obvious. And a "reasonably low amount of money" is over $100/hour plus callout and many other charges. I don't like paying for things that are obvious and easy, and I like doing things myself when I can.

Weak. Working on your own s*** is the manly way, knowing your limits is smart. I've worked however briefly as an electrician, and I'm calling in the pros now after consulting with the mud electricians just in case I'm not seeing something obvious. And a "reasonably low amount of money" is over $100/hour plus callout and many other charges. I don't like paying for things that are obvious and easy, and I like doing things myself when I can.

I'm with you, Scott. Who gives a s*** if your daughter's house burns to the ground while she sleeps when you may have to pay up to $400 to fix the wiring? I mean, that's a lot of money, and doesn't even cover all of the other charges which could push the bill all the way up to five or six hundred.

did they already have the home inspection? I'd be calling that guy if that's the case, many places offer warranties on repairs if they missed it.

no s***... call the mother f'ning s***ass who inspected that house. Home inspections is the freaking scam of the century. What a crock of s***.

I draw the line with electricity and plumbing....

Really?

My Dad was not a good plumber or electrician, so he made sure I learned those trades from Lt. Dan who worked as a plumber and electrician. I have wired a s*** ton of houses and shops.

I've also laid more pipe than most men :flipoff2::lol:

Really?

My Dad was not a good plumber or electrician, so he made sure I learned those trades from Lt. Dan who worked as a plumber and electrician. I have wired a s*** ton of houses and shops.

drain pipe.

I'm with you, Scott. Who gives a s*** if your daughter's house burns to the ground while she sleeps when you may have to pay up to $400 to fix the wiring? I mean, that's a lot of money, and doesn't even cover all of the other charges which could push the bill all the way up to five or six hundred.

Do you know so little about wiring that you assume the house will burn if anyone but a licensed electrician touches it? All these untrained guys who replace their own brakes are taking a much bigger chance, but neither brakes nor house wiring are rocket science.

I'm going to pull all their sinks and countertops to save them some money when the granite comes in, then hook up the new sinks. That's plumbing, and I'm not a licensed plumber, hope that doesn't worry you too much.

I know, you're just yanking my chain because that's what BHM does, but I think I'm supposed to get all defensive here. How am I doing so far?

Good to know, thanks, I'm not sure on all the legalities. This would be a difficult thing to detect, so I have a hard time saying he didn't do his job, but it did happen under his watch so I can see him being responsible.

Is there some confusion here between "county inspector" and "home inspector"?

Really?

I can do the small stuff but when you get to a panel or need to solder copper I call in the big boys...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom